• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Hammer's trailer build thread.

OP
OP
hammer

hammer

Bronco Guru
Passenger side roof is welded up. Next steps for that is I have to remove the roof flip it over and weld up the rest from the inside.

Got the trailer back from a local off road shop that I bartered with to get some tube work done. Rear wrap around bumper with receiver and a couple steps off the front.

Fireman5481

Loc.
Decatur, IL
Copy cat 101

Copy cat 101, if you see someone that is building something SICK (like a bronco trailer). Watch there thread very closely and then repeat! So, I bought my 1971 camper trailer last night, it's been striped to a flat bed, bought it titled as a 1971 which is SO BA because my EB I am going to pull it with is 1971! I am super pumped and picked it up for a $175! I am so pumped to start my own trailer! I just need to find ALL the parts now, lol! I am super pumped to see how you finish yours, I have a couple mods I am tryin to work in. Mainly because I am poor, LOL! Keep up the good work and I love your pictures!!!

NYLES

Bronco Guru
man he sure pumped up.......only pick I see is that damn avatar! i like the bumper

77bronco_ed

Bronco Guru
Started the chore of welding together the two tops yesterday and will continue today before I have to go to work tonight. Started by taking the side windows out. Its coming along for the most part, still trimming/grinding/clamping to get it right. I've run into a snag on the passenger side. The drip rails are not even close to lining up. The driver's side lines up perfect. Not sure how I'm going to overcome this.

I am not sure if this was already fixed or not but here is my suggestion.

I would cut a slice along the wall near the drip rail, say about 6 inches long? (white section)remove some of the metal to move the drip rail up. (the lower one) gradually slope to fit, ( length of cut is what ever length need to fake the eye) re-weld.
Look at the distance on the red painted side from the drip rail to the first break line. The white looks to have more material before the first brake. If you wanted to nit pick you can also slice the white portion between the two brakes(body lines) and open up a bit reweld. Between those body lines the red section appears larger. A little extra work but I think with a few slices and adjustments you can get it to look nice. You cut the bed so I am sure you can cut /remove a bit and reweld the rail. You are doing a great job! just came across your thread.
Although it is a pain in the butt. ;)

Last edited:

bearskinner

Loc.
N.Idaho, AK, SoCal
nice looking trailer, makes me want to build another one, but I didn't use the last one, there just a lot to tow off road, but definitely fun to build

OP
OP
hammer

hammer

Bronco Guru
Anymore updates?

Nope, no updates. I did use it to haul some heavy loads of firewood. Had to cut some more out of the rear wheel wells due to some rubbing. Trial and error.

Spent the summer getting the house ready to sell. Spent the fall switching jobs due to a store closure. Tossed around the idea of selling the trailer as I have bought a 2500hd silverado and would really like the other half of my garage back. I lost the storage locker that I was storing the trailer in also due to the store closure. No bites though, so I will finish when time permits.

77bronco_ed I did get that roof lined up, following a method much like you described. Great minds think alike;)

OP
OP
hammer

hammer

Bronco Guru
I'm loving this thread!!! I wish I could do the things you are doing. I would definitely have to pay someone to build mine like this....

Your trailer is just screaming for one of these hitches!

http://www.off-roadinternational.com/tough.html

thanks for the compliments. I have seen those hitches. They are big $$$. from the research I have done they do gain you some articulation but not enough IMO to offset the investment. I figured I'd use the typical ball coupler until i felt that it limited me. Hasn't yet.

OP
OP
hammer

hammer

Bronco Guru
Funny you should ask. I'm just finishing her off right now. Decided a while back to scrap the roof. Since starting this I've bought a pickup and a travel trailer so the build focus on this switched to just a utility trailer.

I picked up a late 90's f-350 for the roller 5.8L. It came with an aluminium box liner that I used in the trailer. I had to drop the top of the wheel wells down around 2" in order for box liner to fit. I had to extend the wheel wells anyways because of the axle position. Wasn't much more work as I was already in there. The box liner was 3/4" short of hitting the floor so I made up that difference with some rubber horse stall mats.

After that it was just some filler work on some patches that i had done, sand, paint.

I removed the plastic truck box off the front. My brother in law's feedback was that it didnt look right and I could use it for my pickup anyways. So I picked up a trailer tongue box from harbour freight for the front. Now I have this gap between the tongue box and the trailer box. Not sure what to do with it. Gas can storage is an idea. My kids pw80 dirt bike also fits in there. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Here's the 99% finished product. Registered and on the road. Today I'm modifying the tool box that goes in the bed side. Its to deep and hits the frame so its getting cut and welded back up.

OP
OP
hammer

hammer

Bronco Guru
fine. its not that heavy. I can pick it up and move it around. The bronco is hydro boosted and the trailer has brakes. The 35's on the trailer cause it bounce a bit though.

Bronco Biff

Contributor
Lookin' good!! I'm glad your keeping the tool box on the side!! I'm thinking when you get bored again we might see a slide in, light weight camping combo for the time the travel trailer just ain't scratchin' the rough'n it itch?