• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Harbor Freight 48" Jack

Mullett

Loc.
Manassas, VA
Need a Jack or my Bronco and am looking at the Harbor Freight 48" Farm Jack

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=6530

For $36 it seem like it should do the job and I have a local HF store so no shipping. Any one use this jack - pros/cons? Or should I go with the name brand Hi-Lift at about twice the $? Also at what point should you consider the 60" Jack. Right now I have a 2" body lift on stock suspension and probably would never go higher than 33" tires. Currently I have 28" tires - I can not see needing a 60" jack - but want to hear opinions.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
I had to swap from a 48" to a 60" when I went from 3 1/2" springs to 5 1/2" springs. The longer ones were a lot softer though.

As far as the jack I know there are a few people using them. My opinion on this though is that this is safety item which already can be very dangerous. I have seen lesser quality "farm" jacks bend under stress which makes them even more dangerous. Because of this I would (did) spend the extra $25 or so to get a real hi-lift rather than a cheap knock off of it. Even with the real thing I am still very careful using it because they are killers if they are not respected.

bronko69er

EB Addict
Loc.
Renton, WA
SaddleUp said:
I had to swap from a 48" to a 60" when I went from 3 1/2" springs to 5 1/2" springs. The longer ones were a lot softer though.
I've got a 48" high lift now and will going to 5.5"er soon too. Can I just buy the 60" bar and replace the 48"? Seems like it would work unless they are different in some way.

Kaw-Liga

Loc.
Palm Coast, FL
I agree on the jack brand, I have a 60" hi-lift and would be lost without it, mie has bowed in some instances when I've had to use nearly the entire length of the jack and it is at these times I couldn't help but think how a lesser brand would handle the same load. Things can get real ugly real fast in these situations and having the best equiment out there sure does give a little bit of reassurance. Oh and I too have 5 1/5" sl which is why I chose the longer of the jacks.

Rob

Project F

Loc.
Tulsa
Everyone here has already echoed the proper message about getting what you pay for...and for the small additional cost it's money well spent. Will the other cheap Chinese knockoff suffice? Probably, but do you really want to risk your life or a body limb on that? It's small price to pay for the peace of mind.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
x 10. Already have seen one jaw broken by the knock-off jack..and even keeping a 'real' Hi-lift in good working order and using it without injury is challenge enough. The pins and pin control mechanism is too critical to be trusted to a knock-off..

dbridgs

don't buy the hf one, they are absolutely terrible, I will never buy anything from harbor freight with moving parts ever again. We had a jack from them for a short while until it broke down and would do vary scary things like drop the truck when we were trying to lower it slowly.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
bronko69er said:
I've got a 48" high lift now and will going to 5.5"er soon too. Can I just buy the 60" bar and replace the 48"? Seems like it would work unless they are different in some way.
They are different. I don't know if it effects the mechanism or not but I know that the holes are not spaced the same between them. (Mine wouldn't fit the mounts anymore that I had made because the holes didn't match anymore) When I got my 60" I tossed the 48" in my trailer tool box which gives me a backup to use or loan out. This paid off once when someone needed to borrow one at a local mud run. Somehow it ended up in another rig and I was left with one. A week or two later the other worked it's way back to me. (I think it got passed between 4 people before then though)

45acp

Loc.
Texarkana AR
I got my dad the HF one a few years back and it nearly killed him the first time he used it. He wouldnt even take it back... he chopped it with the chopsaw so no one would be able to use it. Stick with HighLift.

EBCRAWLR

Loc.
las vegas,NV
just a cool trick!

i was out on a group run and got a flat. well i have a 48in high lift and 3 1/2 susp. and when i was using the front bumper to pic up the axle(bailie bilt) the suspension was flexing to much. it worked cause i had to use the top quarter of the jack, but was a little hairy. so instead of buying a bigger jack (heres the tip) i carry a small 3 foot chain, in my chain box. just chain the axle to the frame, and i now use barely half the jack. ;)

part of the reason i dont want to step up is cause of the mount i built on the rear bumper. but this tip works just fine! FYI ive seen it done with a small (but strong) tie down strap! --rock

astark

Contributor
Bronco God
I got my Hi-Lift at a farm supply store and paid less than fifty bucks for it ;)

I think the quality of the genuine is worth the extra ten or fifteen.

OP
OP
Mullett

Mullett

Loc.
Manassas, VA
I definitly appreciate the feedback - Going to stay away from the HF. Unfortunatly No one seems to carry the Hi-Lift Here. Checked Ace, True Value, Southern States, etc. John Deere can get it for around $90. So that is significantly more tan the 10 - 15 over H/F. But you all have convinced me to pay the x-tra bucks. Thanks again.

scottz

Loc.
Colorado Rockies
Agreed, stay away from the junk. Even a hi-lift jack is dangerous if not used very carefully, seen the injuries. Be careful out there.

astark

Contributor
Bronco God
If you call Hi-Lift they will tell you who your nearest dealer is

1-800-233-2051

Or you can email them to get the information

http://www.hi-lift.com/corporate/contact.htm

The farm, ranch and tractor supply stores will be way cheaper than anywhere else. Oh, and I would get an all caste red one, better quality than stamped steel and caste, also a little more expensive but still the one I got for less than fifty bucks.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
rockjock said:
just a cool trick!

i was out on a group run and got a flat. well i have a 48in high lift and 3 1/2 susp. and when i was using the front bumper to pic up the axle(bailie bilt) the suspension was flexing to much. it worked cause i had to use the top quarter of the jack, but was a little hairy. so instead of buying a bigger jack (heres the tip) i carry a small 3 foot chain, in my chain box. just chain the axle to the frame, and i now use barely half the jack. ;)
I've been considering doing this at least until I build a new mount. I had to pull my jack off twice today because it was too tall to go under obsticles. (About 6 months ago I knocked the entire carrier off because it was too high)

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Mullett said:
I definitly appreciate the feedback - Going to stay away from the HF. Unfortunatly No one seems to carry the Hi-Lift Here. Checked Ace, True Value, Southern States, etc. John Deere can get it for around $90. So that is significantly more tan the 10 - 15 over H/F. But you all have convinced me to pay the x-tra bucks. Thanks again.

If you don't mind a drive, Trick Trucks in Kensington is a Hi-Lift dealer..