• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Hard Top Off - Now what should I do

masonh1987

I got my hard top off today. Adjusted my carb so it idles lower, and cranks right up with no choke. Fixed my passenger door and Window.

I've got about $ 2000 budget. What ideas/ things do I invest in? What would look good on this 66 rig?

Pics in garage.

metal1

Loc.
hidesert ,socal
topless

Sounds just like my project I picked up a 67 1/2 cab servivor came with a wagon top also. just getting it running well has been a job in itself. I changed all the fluids and coolant it had the wrong fan so it would get hot around town and on slow trails a proper fan and a mustang coolant tank to replace the corroded tank works great stays at 180 all the time ,new brake and spring kit to make it stop straight , tires cause it needed them, suspension bushings front and rear I used the stock rubber type in the front but now I wish I would of went urethane, the stock rubber ones have already started to rot in less than a yr . now I'm driving it and fixing the little things, took apart the vacuum wiper motors and cleaned and lubed them they work great wish they were timed but hey its a EB, installed the doors and top seal kit ,lots of blaster lube and silicone spray for sticky parts and squeaks ,it is getting to be a nice driver and easy trail rig ,summer is almost here and a few camping trips are already planned.also it is getting to use the tow bar for a trip to Alaska this June. and with good research I'm only 400 bucks into it so it can be done inexpensively, have fun with it and drive it

Dlish

Bronco looks great!

I know it would take away from the originality a little, but the very first thing I would do is a roll bar. Door and windshield frames offer zero protection.

After that, nothing. As long as it runs well.

hucklburry rev2

I didn't look at pics, but the first couple things on any list should be a roll cage and I think disc brakes up front.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
As stated, roll bar, front disks. The add a 2 1/2 lift and some slightly bigger tires and you'll have a great looking LUBR.

surfer-b

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Go through the steering and brakes if you havnt already done this, then go enjoy it

JAFO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Beaverdam
Get a hickory or Oak stick for the hood prop. That is a fine looking Bronco. As other said, make sure it stops good. With mine I replaced every piece of the braking system (new stainless steel lines, new rubber lines, disc brake conversion, rebuilt rear brakes, etc). Make sure it steers good. I added those hydraulic hood props. A slight lift would be nice. Drive the heck out of it.

doghows72

Bronco Guru
Yup safety first. Roll bar, brakes, steering. Have fun. Maybe not in that order but close. Nice rig by the way and keep us posted!

Toddpole

Contributor
A Blonde,Brunette and a Red head ;D

...walked into a bar.
That sounds like the beginning of a good joke. However, I must concur with your statement that any, or all, three would accentuate that foam green color nicely.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
...walked into a bar.
That sounds like the beginning of a good joke. However, I must concur with your statement that any, or all, three would accentuate that foam green color nicely.

All three will blow your budget rather quickly. Also cheaper to rent than own. Once the tires get worn down a little cast them off and get new ones.

OP
OP
M

masonh1987

Thanks everyone! Love this car - and is running great. I am spitting a little gas out of one of my gaskets, which Im going to handle today.

Im going back and forth on the tire/ cover. On or off? I have it off right now.

Any recommendations for roll bars?

brianstrange

Bronco Guru
You have a nice 66 with a 66 tailgate! I would find some original wheels, return the interior to stock, and keep the mods to a minimum. She's almost perfect as is.

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
A smile on the drivers face, which is all but guaranteed!

And the other stuff mentioned, get a roll bar in it and make sure the steering and the brakes work well.

OP
OP
M

masonh1987

Thanks guys. Appreciate the feedback! I'll keep everyone posted on how its going.

ECEB

More $.02.

It looks awesome. How about taking the window frames off. Brakes and power steering and I like original wheels plus the 66 wheel covers trump all...