• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Hard Top quick Release Bolts?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
$100 for a set of camper shell clamps?

Nutzerts in the body. Handwheel bolts from the local ACE hardware store.

OP
OP
G

Gweiner

Loc.
Charlotte
Thanks for the suggestions broncobowsher. I thought they were a bit pricey as well. I will check them both out .

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
I made 2 of these... $10 for 50" x 2" x 1/8" flat stock and $12 for Weld nuts from Fastenal

Attachments

• DSCN4061.jpg
    DSCN4061.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 309
  • DSCN4059.jpg
    DSCN4059.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 303

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
That's cool 904 bronco. Wish I owned a welder and knew how to weld. So many great ideas.

Is there a community college near you?

If there is take a few welding classes, you can learn to weld and have the use of their equipment for your projects.
You need to weld something for the classes, might as well weld something of yours.

AxlesUp

Loc.
Collierville TN
they make those clamps in different sizes. the u part should be deep enough to go over the lip under the bed rail and still touch the underside of the rail without hitting the lip itself.

the broncos have a much deeper lip than most pickup trucks. mine is 1.75"s. i think you'll need the next size up from those clamps to work properly. its hard to tell from the measurements they give.

these look like the next size up:
https://www.amazon.com/CSI-W34000-C...=1477889408&sr=8-2&keywords=camper+top+clamps

ransil

Bronco Guru
they make those clamps in different sizes. the u part should be deep enough to go over the lip under the bed rail and still touch the underside of the rail without hitting the lip itself.

the broncos have a much deeper lip than most pickup trucks. mine is 1.75"s. i think you'll need the next size up from those clamps to work properly. its hard to tell from the measurements they give.

these look like the next size up:
https://www.amazon.com/CSI-W34000-C...=1477889408&sr=8-2&keywords=camper+top+clamps

I have a bunch of clamps here, pay shipping and you can have them.
pm or email me if interested

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
You could get a 2" X 1/4" flat bar the length you need, Mark it, drill it and tap it to give you a solid rail for underneath and get the wheel nuts. I weld Fastenal weld nuts directly to the tub when I redo them so the side panels will not have to be removed to pull the top.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
OP
G

Gweiner

Loc.
Charlotte
Yeah, I think Englewood Cowboy and 904 Bronco have the right idea about making a flat bar with welded nuts and wing nut bolts or wheel nut bolts for quick install and removal of the top . Who knows, maybe will take itbon and off more than once a year! Thanks guys.

OP
OP
G

Gweiner

Loc.
Charlotte
Yes but khat kind of welder to buy? there seem to be so many . Mig, tig, stick, electric, gas, spot welder, etc.

hyghlndr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Hockessin, Delaware
Everyone has opinions but for most "normal" stuff I would go with a brand name (craigslist used if you find a nice one) mig welder w/gas. 220 volts is much better than just the 110. They are fairly easy to setup and get started. Most people don't need to do super thick structural welding like building beams where you might want a stick welder or the super fancy aluminum welding that can be done with tig.

This is a decent big box one, I have also got a few Miller welders on craigslist that are very good. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Lincoln-Electric-Weld-Pak-180-HD-Wire-Feed-Welder-K2515-1/100670932