• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Hard Top Storage

BroncoMabry

I have seen some creative hard top storage ideas on here. I really like the overhead storage setups but just don't have room for it in my garage. Have any of you used a Heep hard top stand like this one.

http://www.extremeterrain.com/surco...dium=shopping&utm_term={keyword}&XTID=J100865

It seems like a pretty good price. We have a similar stand for the hard top of a '57 Tbird. Works great. Of course it's much smaller & doesn't have that Awkward "I'm gonna crush myself under my own weight" feel that the Bronco top does.

I believe the Jeep top weighs 40-50 lbs less. I would think the dimensions are similar. Do you think the resting points would be compatible with our tops?

BRONCOchild

Bronco Guru
Looks cool. I would like the ability to stand it straight because, at a slanted position, it seems to eat up dead space.

70_Steve

Old Guy
I built one out of 2x4s with 4 casters on the end. Took the hardtop off, bolted it to the frame, stood it up and wheeled it into the garage.

Datch

Loc.
St Albert, Alberta
I like this a lot, and it wouldn't be too hard to make your own. But I agree that I would like it more upright than tilted like the picture!

70_Steve

Old Guy
Pics, por favor!
I wish I had taken pics... It stood in the garage for several years, then moved outside to the side yard for several more years. I finally realized I wasn't ever going to put the hardtop back on, so it's now sitting in my friends back yard, waiting for him to restore it...

It really was so simple it almost doesn't warrant pictures.

75junebug

Loc.
NW Houston Tx
The only issue I see with a setup like that is you still need a buddy or two to lift the top off and set in the cradle...I did a simular setup as described above just to get my top thru the gate into the back yard....

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
Funny that is always the issue with the hard tops what the hell to do with it when you are not using it. I used to put mine on every winter but stopped about 6 years ago. Now it just sits in our back storage lot taking up space. Unless you can hang it from above I don't think there is a good way to store one!

SACHEM

Back From the Dead
I'm planning on making a slide out frame under my deck to hold mine, but I've only been planning this for 5 years so don't hold your breath.

OP
OP
BroncoMabry

BroncoMabry

I have a hoist I can use to remove it myself. It just can't stay there. I like the idea of standing it completely vertical - but I would think without some slant, the top & frame would be prone to turn over. That calls for a fairly hefty frame to carry the weight of the top without flipping. Those materials & 3 or 4 trips to the hardware store (somehow always takes me that many) would cost me $158. Think I might try this out. Will let you know after I get it.

OP
OP
BroncoMabry

BroncoMabry

I'm planning on making a slide out frame under my deck to hold mine, but I've only been planning this for 5 years so don't hold your breath.

I love this idea. Unfortunately, my deck is a concrete pad.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL

Well looky there. :)

I'll be lookin for a pic of that on FB

OP
OP
BroncoMabry

BroncoMabry

I found a Quadratec product that stands the top up vertically ($199). It is just 2x4, casters, indoor/outdoor carpet & a metal bracket. Just like 70_Steve said. Much easier than I would have thought. And if you take a look at the install instructions on this page - you can get a basic blueprint. The dimensions need to be a little different from the Z bracket to the blocks as the Heep top is a few inches taller than our tops. Width is a little different as well. Our tops have the drip rail which the Heep tops don't have either, which may need to be taken into account. Now that I've seen it on paper - I think I can make this for a fraction of the cost with only 2 trips to the hardware store.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/1...oglemerchant&gclid=CPHI3cqRr8gCFdgMgQodZLEDCw

66Uncut

Contributor
I've been looking for a vertical solution as I no longer have space to hoist and hange my top from the garage rafters. I'd been thinking about building a vertical storage solution out of 2x4s and just came across this, which is pretty much the exact idea I had in my head:

https://ironhorsebronco.com/

I didn't find any mention of it here on the site and am curious if anyone has used one or knows anything about them?

rsw2600h1600_12001600_2020-03-08_14-25-17.png

I built one out of 2x4s with 4 casters on the end. Took the hardtop off, bolted it to the frame, stood it up and wheeled it into the garage.

This looks to be kinda similar to Steve's idea as well.

Last edited: