• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Hard Top Storage

colbythekid

Happy New Year to everyone!

This is my first post. I have owned my Bronco for about 20 years. She's been in the family for about 35 years.

It is currently in a state of restoration, slow restoration. I started the restoration about 15 years ago while in college. Then came a wife, house and kids and she sat for many years. I am just now in position of two important things time and extra money. My goal is to slowly give her the love she deservers.

I have the hardtop on but it is not bolted to the body. I would like to take it off for and store it for the long haul. We live in Sothern California so the top is not needed about 99% of the time.

My goal is to store the roof above the Bronco using a pully system attached to the ceiling of the garage. Has anyone accomplished this? Any suggestions and photos would be greatly appreciated.

Colby

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Welcome Colby! Thus is the best Bronco community out there!

There are several threads on this topic but it's always nice to refresh the ideas. I recommend you use a more mainstream search engine as the one here isn't detailed enough - search for "ClassicBroncos top storage" using DuckDuckGo or Google and it'll pull the threads better.

For me, I installed a Harbor Freight electric hoist in the attic with a removable panel in the ceiling. For now I use HF ratchet straps on the top and connect them to the hoist, then I safety mount it to the ceiling via a couple of 2x4's with eye bolts and chains. When I finish putting the glass in the top I'll probably still use ratchet straps and just put the back 2X4 underneath the top instead of through the window, like I was doing before I painted it. Some people mount the electric hoist to the wall and run pulleys to the ceiling. Some people purchased a hoist used for Jeep tops. Search around and see which might be best for you.

Attachments

• mount.jpg
    mount.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 127
  • store.jpg
    store.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 97
  • hoist.jpg
    hoist.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 80

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Using a hoist is the best way but it can be as simple as using 4 eye-hooks in your roof trusses and 4 motorcycle cam-lock straps. A lifting frame made of 2x4’s helps too.

I made a frame that the top bolts to. I can use it to store the top in the raised position OR I can lower it down and roll it around on the casters I installed on the lifting frame.

brbuilder

There have been several posts with different top storage systems. I have a relatively low garage ceiling height so i needed to be able to move the top once lifted from the Bronco. I attached a couple of 14’ pieces of unistrut to the ceiling perpendicular to the roof trusses, inserted (4) unistrut trolleys 2 per side into the unistrut and attached 2 pulleys to each trolly. Placed a 6’ piece of unistrut under the back edge of the topper and another where the top steps up at the doors. Attached pulleys and rope cinch cleats at each end of the 6’ unistrut. Threaded the rope through the pulleys and cinch cleats. The multiple pulleys gives a mechanical advantage so 1 person can easily lift it although 2 people makes it much easier. I also attached some chains between the trolleys and unistrut once it was lifted in place, for safety.

I don’t have enough ceiling height to store the top over the open garage door. With the trolleys I can pull the Bronco in, close the garage door, remove the top, slide it forward and now have room to open the garage door. With the door closed I can push the top to the back and not have it hanging over/interfering with the open hood. If you have a full cage then you will have to choose a different location for the front 6’ piece of unistrut.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Happy New Year to everyone!

This is my first post. I have owned my Bronco for about 20 years. She's been in the family for about 35 years.

My goal is to store the roof above the Bronco using a pully system attached to the ceiling of the garage. Has anyone accomplished this? Any suggestions and photos would be greatly appreciated.

Colby

Also welcome aboard Colby!!! Great to have you with us

pmansfield64

Just finished mine and removed the top today to install a roll bar. I used a hoist from Northern Tool, wire rope and pulleys. Worked like a champ and was able to remove top by myself. Sorry its upside down.%)

Attachments

• 63122441955__18CD36A3-AD74-415C-98BC-C7E787C52D98.jpg
    63122441955__18CD36A3-AD74-415C-98BC-C7E787C52D98.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 107

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Here ya go, Nice job BTW. I noticed you had only 1 corner post in. When I tried to pull mine off with both still in the top, it wouldn't move. I had to undo both from the top to get it to come off. I guess you could just do 1. Did you have the same problem or is the PS just lined up with the wall stud?

Attachments

• top.jpg
    top.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 147

tatersalad

Bronco Guru
I used to use 4 Rachet straps on a previous rig. It worked but a lot of back and forth for a click or two to keep it level, but I did it alone and it served its purpose.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
Colby Well I'll say welcome aboard . after I got off on someone else post & read 3 pages .
I've forgot what I was going to say . But no matter Welcome aboard.
No bad questions here . We were all new once.

pmansfield64

Here ya go, Nice job BTW. I noticed you had only 1 corner post in. When I tried to pull mine off with both still in the top, it wouldn't move. I had to undo both from the top to get it to come off. I guess you could just do 1. Did you have the same problem or is the PS just lined up with the wall stud?

Thanks , when i removed the top the one corner post would move about an inch and then get stuck,

bbolander

I used the 4 motorcycle cam lock straps on mine for years. 12 ft garage ceiling, exposed rafters, eye hooks in the ceiling and a 2x6 frame that I could rest the top on when up. I've since used the Lange electric hoist-a-top for my Jeep tops, their frame connections are pretty flimsy but it worked well. I recently bought a RollinJack portable one for my Jeep top after seeing it discussed on this forum. Very convenient but you need floor space to store the top, or lift it up from there.

Jax302

I bought the Lange electric lift. Whether you go with that or rig up an manual or electric winch system you should take a look at how they are using straps rather than boards. With this method, you can use the lift with a roll cage with no problems.