• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Hardtop Bow

Flyfisen

Question, my front bow on the hardtop has pulled away in the center and the bronc oil cans at freeway speeds. Any suggestions on reattaching or at least filling the void to prevent the noise. I have recently repainted the top and will not be welding as an option. Any help would be appreciated

nickgp

Bronco Guru
Panel bond adhesive and block/shim it up w a 2x4 until it cures.

surfer-b

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If it has a large gap u may need to drill the spot welds, remove and re-arch the bow, if u don't it may pull the top down in the center

1970 Palmer

The 3M panel bond is a great solution to attaching it without damaging your new paint. But you need the special $$$ 3M gun, and the cartridge is kind of expensive (about $40) since your going to waste most of the tube after it's been opened and you use just a small amount.

I have used urethane (yes it's paintable) seam sealer to glue my extra roof rafters into my roof. It has held up very well without any signs of pulling loose. TremPro 635 is about $7 per tube and you can use just a normal caulking gun. to apply. TremPro is mostly used in the RV industry.

Pushing the rafter up and holding it tight against the roof for several days is the challenge. The urethane does not harden as fast as the panel bond, so you will need a way to hold it tight for a extended period. Irwin sells 24" bar clamps. They have the ability to remove the stationary end and reverse it. This allows the normal "clamping action" to become a 24" long "pushing action" clamp. With the roof bolted to the Bronco, I just used these clamps adjusted to the "push mode" and a couple of 6" by 6" blocks on the floor, and was able to get a fine adjustment on pushing the rafters up into the roof after the glue was applied. Let it set for a few days in the warm sun and it's not going anywhere.

John

OP
OP
F

Flyfisen

Thanks for the great suggestions. I’ll decide between adhesives but special thanks to John for the instructions on the setup. Plenty hot here in Boise nowadays so I’ll tackle this week.

reamer

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Dynamat on the whole roof to stop oil-canning, Heat and noise

OP
OP
F

Flyfisen

Reamer, how do you keep a finished look. Install a headliner after the dynamat ?

Lawndart

Loc.
Reamer, how do you keep a finished look. Install a headliner after the dynamat ?
Headliner after Hushmat in my case. You won't even know it is there, well minus the insulation (sound & heat) lower noise, retains temps and stops all oil canning; only positives.
33109910526_562e3c36e2_c.jpg

MikeCon

My 73 would oil can in space behind 2nd brace.I used liquid nails to secure braces.Also used liquid nails and added 2 -1x4 braces running front to back between 2 existing cross brace. Since I have a headliner I did not have to worry about painting.
Check bracing on hood.mine has similar set up.

OP
OP
F

Flyfisen

Hey lawndart, any pics with headliner installed. Who’s headliner did you purchase, any recommendations on best headliner out there?

Lawndart

Loc.
I don't know the best out there. I got mine from LMC since they are local and I could just pick it up. IIRC, it was a Dennis Carpenter headliner.
41006808944_2f5a7bfd6f_c.jpg