• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Hardtop Question?!

Sylar

Loc.
Cleveland, TX
Hey guys, working on getting the rattles out of my lift gate (attached to the hardtop). Is there supposed to be strikers attached to the hardtop, so there is no chipped paint from closing the lift gate? If so, where can I get a couple of these? cheers !

OP
OP
Sylar

Sylar

Loc.
Cleveland, TX
oops, second question.. anyone know where you can get rain gutter clamps for the hardtop? I want to fab up my own roof rack :)

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
are you talking about strikers that go into bed rails? if you don't have them you should be able to loosen the bolts and spread it out a little. opposite problem most people have.

OP
OP
Sylar

Sylar

Loc.
Cleveland, TX
are you talking about strikers that go into bed rails? if you don't have them you should be able to loosen the bolts and spread it out a little. opposite problem most people have.

no, I am talking about some that attach to the hardtop. Seems to me there were some on my old top, but the new top I have doesn't have them and my paint is chipping from where the lift gate hits the corners on closing.

Heus33

Bronco Guru
ok i think you are talking about the part that mounts to the tailgate not hardtop correct http://www.tomsbroncoparts.com/product/tailgate-anti-theft-post-67-77-early-ford-bronco-new

Either that or maybe he had rubber bumpers on the inside of the liftgate? http://www.tomsbroncoparts.com/product/liftgate-prop-bumpers-66-77-early-ford-bronco-new-pair

As for the roof rack - take a look a the old school thule racks, they used to clamp onto the rain gutter before cars stoped having rain gutters. Should be able to find some cheap.

Broncofan76

Loc.
Atlanta
one of the vendors has exploded views.....
I just cant find em right now. Search around, someone has a view that breaks down all the parts.

gnsteam

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lincoln NE
Hey guys, working on getting the rattles out of my lift gate (attached to the hardtop). Is there supposed to be strikers attached to the hardtop, so there is no chipped paint from closing the lift gate? If so, where can I get a couple of these? cheers !

Yes there should be a striker plate the attaches to the inside edge of the top on each side. They are very similar to the striker plate on all the door jams in your house. The plate sticks out a bit with an angled lead in surface which guide and depresses the latching bolt into the life gate while closing. The plate has an opening in it to receive the bolt when closed and provide a surface to latch against. Hope this is what your asking about. I would think most of the vendors would have this item. I made a pair for one of my earlier Broncos in the 80's.

Fred

OP
OP
Sylar

Sylar

Loc.
Cleveland, TX
Yes there should be a striker plate the attaches to the inside edge of the top on each side. They are very similar to the striker plate on all the door jams in your house. The plate sticks out a bit with an angled lead in surface which guide and depresses the latching bolt into the life gate while closing. The plate has an opening in it to receive the bolt when closed and provide a surface to latch against. Hope this is what your asking about. I would think most of the vendors would have this item. I made a pair for one of my earlier Broncos in the 80's.

Fred

EXACTLY ! yeah just like where your door on a house ! I thought there were such things... just been a long time since I did the disassembly, and some of my smaller parts have been misplaced. I have looked for this item, and cannot seem to find it anywhere.. dunno if I am just not searching under the correct part name...

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
i will check and see if my hardtop has them, if so you can have them

OP
OP
Sylar

Sylar

Loc.
Cleveland, TX

BINGO! that is what I am looking for. I have an idea for a roof rack kinda similar to the racks they used to put on 2001 Nissan Xterras' with lotsa lights across the front edge. The roof racks on the market seem a little bit "flimsy" . I know they are probably built tough, but I want a more "meaty" look to match my bumpers.

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
Man , that would be awesome! I will paypal you the mailing cost! :)

ok i have them, i have to get a new drill bit dang screws are rusted. pm me your address and i will get them in the mail asap