• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Hardtop question

huskybul

After unsuccessfully searching the forum for information on Bronco hardtop variations and interchangeability I thought maybe "throwing it out there" would enlighten me.

After finally getting after the notorious Bronco rust on my 72, replacing original body mounts with 1", updating the power steering, installing front discs and an AX15 tranny I am now focused on the hard top. One of the previous owners decided that in addition to shag carpet throughout, the Bronco needed a sun roof. At the time I bought it some 20 plus years ago the original sun roof had been stolen and all that remained was the frame. The result as might be expected is that the top and one support are weakened and the typical "popping" occurs at all speeds.

I recently picked up another top in pretty descent shape, but it came off a 1970 Bronco and prior to paint prep I'm noticing some differences. So my question is : Are these two tops interchangeable ??

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Yes tops are interchangeable.

Some early ones have a slightly different bolt pattern at the windshield. But a drill quickly fixes that issue,
The early models also have a different rear tailgate seal. No worries though. The different seal cam be purchases from,the vendors.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
There are some half dozen little differences over the years. But they all interchange. The only real difference is pre/post vacuum wiper models (mid '69). With different wiper setups there are different bolt patterns on the windshield to roof. Just drill to fix.

Your 70 to 72 should bolt right on.

There are a few little differences in braces, rear stake pocket posts, trim, locks and latch hardware, etc. But nothing that will pose any problems.

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
Yeah the chang over year was mid '69. The holes will be different but you can match up n drill new one above windshield frame.

Looks like bowsher got you covered

OP
OP
H

huskybul

Thanx much for the quick replies. A couple additional questions: Considering sand blasting and powder coating - understand concern for possible damage when sand blasting, vendor looked at the damaged top on the 72 and said that it would be no problem. Opinions ?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
If the heat of sand blasting doesn't warp the top, you have a great blaster. Then there is the warping from the bake cycle.

On top of all that it has to be clean. Only metal.

Just paint it.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
If the heat of sand blasting doesn't warp the top, you have a great blaster. Then there is the warping from the bake cycle.

On top of all that it has to be clean. Only metal.

Just paint it.

Yeah, careful w/that blasting....

Agreed just Paint

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'd just have the inside corners, nook and crannies blasted. Not the flat surfaces. Then prep and paint.