• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

hardtop rear corner posts in a 68 - mine are short?

SeaBiscuit68

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tacoma Wa
When I took off my hardtop I noticed the posts which go down into the 1/4s are only long enough for the first bolt. They don't appear to have been cut short but I could be wrong. Is this correct for a 68? If so, will longer ones fit? I may have found a new top and want have my ducks in a row ahead of time.

Mike

77TexasBronc

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Baytown Texas
I am not sure but if your rear quarter post have the holes already drilled for the second bolt then the mounting brackets where probably cut. If they arnt drilled for the second bolt just use the old brackets on the new top. :)
Didnt take you long to find a new top...good luck ;)

iwlbcnu

Bronco Guru
Let me try this again ::)

Is it just a tab or the unblotable brace in the top?

66 tops only had just a tab whereas the newer tops had the whole brace. Also 66 tops had the liftgate lock and handle seperate, and a locater dowell on each front corner. I have alot of pictures of a 66 top at home.

OP
OP
SeaBiscuit68

SeaBiscuit68

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tacoma Wa
[quote author=77TexasBronc link=board=5;threadid=20861;start=0#msg160621 date=1060622123]
I am not sure but if your rear quarter post have the holes already drilled for the second bolt then the mounting brackets where probably cut. If they arnt drilled for the second bolt just use the old brackets on the new top. :)
Didnt take you long to find a new top...good luck ;)
[/quote]

Isn't that funny? Was just gonna paint mine to get by till I found one. I used to have a saying when I was a kid; light a cigarette and the bus will come. ::)

OP
OP
SeaBiscuit68

SeaBiscuit68

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tacoma Wa
[quote author=iwlbcnu link=board=5;threadid=20861;start=0#msg160664 date=1060629020]
Let me try this again ::)

Is it just a tab or the unblotable brace in the top?

66 tops only had just a tab whereas the newer tops had the whole brace. Also 66 tops had the liftgate lock and handle seperate, and a locater dowell on each front corner. I have alot of pictures of a 66 top at home.
[/quote]

Doesn't appear to be unboltable. Must be a 66. Sounds like my 68 is like the rest though. Thanks for the info.

OP
OP
SeaBiscuit68

SeaBiscuit68

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tacoma Wa
Sorry for bumping this back up but I wanted to share what I've learned to resolve this thread and to make the info available in case anyone else has a 68 and wonders the same thing. Long story short, I did find a new top. ;D Donor is also a 68. It too has the short welded on tab which only accepts one bolt.
Also, good thing that my new top comes from a 68 since the bolt pattern across the top of the ws frame is apparantly different in newer years.

Mike

Dawg_enD

Hey Mike!

I remember Joe saying something about different years having a different number of bolts on the tabs. (I assume you mean the tabs that go into the slots in the rear 1/4s, right?) If your old top wasn't a 68 then maybe the PO drilled it so he could use all the bolts that the newer top originally used.

-Dawg (Mike)