• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Head Gasket

Levisbronco

Loc.
Eugene, Oregon
I did a compresson test on the my bronco and here are the results: Cylinder PSI
1 150
2 75
3 0
4 180
5 160
6 120
7 150
8 140

Not to happy with cylinders 2 and 3. I think it is time to replace the head gasket. How hard is this and are there any special tools I will need. Or could this be caused by something else. Any tips would be great if you have done this. Is there anything else I should replace when I'm in there? Also what kind of plugs are you running along with plug wires? Any recomendations on the plugs or wires, what would be a good set? I have a 351C so it gets pretty hot in the engine compartment. The cleveland kind of warps the wires after a few months. Thanks for your comments.~Levi

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I would suspect that the rings or valves are pretty much gone in your # 3 cyl and #2 is almost as bad a head gasket change may not work you should get some kind of reading from #3 if it was only a head gasket. The only special tools you would need to change the head gasket would be a torque wrench and a repair manual . As for plugs I run Autolites plugs never had a problem with them. As for spark plug wires get some good aftermarket ones like Accel, Mallory, Taylor or Ford motorsports make sure they are the spiral core wires and are at least 8mm.

74bronc

Bronco Guru
to be totally honest, I would be surprised if the only problem you have is the head gasket. When a head gasket goes, you will usually still have at least some compression. That 0 would concern me greatly. I would be looking for broken rings, hole in the piston or valves that are totally gone. If it were mine, I would save the time of trying the head gaskets and pull the whole engine and do a complete rebuild. .02

74bronc

Bronco Guru
I should also add that I would do a wet compression test on those two cylinders and I would also do a leakdown test on the whole engine to see if you can isolate exactly where the problem is.

Waverous

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Aurora, CO
I have a old Chevy PU that one day just started blowning white smoke - a lot of white smoke! I dreaded the fact that I would have to change out the head gaskets! The head gasket problem came at ht worst time cause I couldn't get to it right away. I figured I had nothing to loose so I bought a bottle of stop leak for head gaskets from Checker and FOLLOWED the directions on how to use it. The results were amazing! Next morning - no smoke! Compression was back where it was prior to the leak, and best of all, I didn't have to tear down the engine! We have been driving that truck for over a year with that snake oil fix!