• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Head light wiring harness.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
I'VE BOUGHT ONE OF THE Wiring Harness from a member on here.
It's the one that is supposed to be supper strong & not over heat.
When I got it ...I really questioned how heavy it was . I really didnot think the wiring was heavy enough .. But it did have the relays built into the harness. So Since I'M PROM to over do what I build like this.
.... SO Fast Forward a few years .. & My Light are back to heating up & cutting off like the did in the past.
How would you fix this. Buy a new Relay harness. OR PULL THAT ONE OUT & Build it heavier ..For Myself . & of course buying all new plug-in connectors.
... I just have new 6024 Halogen head lamps. & Yes I did put in a new Dimmer switch . & Seems like I put in a new Head lamp switch.
P.S. who make American connectors.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
So is it just the main switch that's overheating and causing the lights to go on and off intermittently?
If so, then unless you can find a short somewhere, the switch is just old. Or defective in some way at least.
No relay, not even cheap ones, puts enough load into the switch to cause it trouble. Never heard of that at least. Would have to be wired incorrectly or have a relay failing in some way. But never heard of a relay failing in that way either. Doesn't mean it has never happened of course, but I've certainly never heard of it.

So unless someone has other experiences, or you find some fault with the new relay wiring during a search mission under the hood, I would think a new switch would be in order.

Then of course, you run the risk of getting a crappy imported switch that only lasts a week just sitting there looking pretty!

Good luck.

Paul

ransil

Bronco Guru
x3 if it has a relay in the harness it should not be tripping the light switch, I would change the relay first.
I like OEM relays I find in the junk yard vs china type

OP
OP
Pa PITT

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
When you say Main switch I guess you saying the Head lamp switch .
Light come back on when I mash the Dimmer several times or I can turn them off & wait 10 minutes & They work again for a few minutes .

PaveBronco

When you say Main switch I guess you saying the Head lamp switch .
Light come back on when I mash the Dimmer several times or I can turn them off & wait 10 minutes & They work again for a few minutes .

Could be your dimmer switch, had the same issue on and off throughout the years.

Crush

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Greenbottom, WV
Deano had same problem. He replaced the relays and all was good. Seems like one of the. Was gettin corosion on the relay and shorting out or something

OP
OP
Pa PITT

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
... I've replaced my Dimmer Switch several times .. I even replaced with one that says it all Brass. It didn't last any longer than the others.
I've replaced the Head Light switch twice over the years that I've operated my Bronco . Once in the old stock wiring Harness & 2nd time in the New North West wiring harness. But the Dimmer i cant say how many time I've done it .. I'll once a year.

... SO it really sounds like you guys think it's either the dimmer or the Nead lamp & NOT the harness.
I'll look at the relays for any corrosion .

ransil

Bronco Guru
dimmer switch used in the centech harness is a chevy dimmer, the aftermarket ones are junk they just fall apart. I don't even use my dimmer and went thru 2 of them in a few years.
I did mine again last month with anl AC delco switch from Ebay.

but if you have a relay installed there should not be a load on the light switch or dimmer, the load is carried by the relay.