• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Head lights blinking on and off

TMC

Loc.
Apple Valley, Minnesota
Hey guys,

My head lights blink on and off intermitently. I pull the
switch on and off and it does not matter. Any suggestions on where to start. I hate electrical stuff!

Thanks,

Paul

brewdude

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Groveland, CA
I would start and check for a bad ground at the head light and work back from there. I was having that problem and could not find where the short was. I ended up installing a Centech harness because all of my wiring was shot.

74ranger

Loc.
wilkeson, washington
usually when they do that it is because of the switch getting to hot. my first and my current bronco both do that. :p pulled the switch out of the dash and that helped some, keeps it cooler, but is a temporary fix. any other ideas on keeping under the dash cooler, anyone?

edge4

Contributor
Loc.
Gonzales, Texas
Your switch is about out. Mine cut in and out for about 2 weeks until I replaced the switch. Problem solved!

astark

Contributor
Bronco God
It could be the thermal coupler in your head light switch TMC. You have to replace the whole switch to find out, but it's not that bad. They are only about twelve bucks and in stock at most parts places.

Disconnect the negative battery cable.

Remove the headlight switch control knob and shaft by reaching up behind the dash and pressing the knob release button located on the bottom of the switch, it's a little metal post. As you press, pull the knob and arm out from the switch past the two on positions to remove it.

Unscrew the chrome mounting bezzel on the outside of the dash by turning counter clockwise, there is a slot in it that will alow you to put a screw driver into and bang on if necessary.

The whole switch will pull loose from behind and under the dash. Disconnect the big wire plug assembly from the switch, you may have to pry them apart with a screw driver, if so be gental with it.

Now just plug in the new switch and follow these instuctions kind of in reverse.

My knob arm was to long, because I was missing a spacer, so I had to shim it with a nut between the switch and inside of dash.

Hope this does the trick and Good Luck !

66horse

Bronco Guru
If it turns out ot not be the light switch, it might be the floor mounted dimmer switch. Just replace both. Can gety both at your local parts store and both are cheap.

sheneeda

Loc.
Surrey   B.C.
Might want to wire in some relays for your headlights, that'l take the load off the old wire harness and switch.

Should still replace the switch thats falty though.

Might make the lights a bit brighter too. :)

HotWheels

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Twilight Zone
If u r going tru all that u might as well upgrade your lighting to the h4s. Do it once do it right. before winter hits. Switch, dimmer, relay and h4 from cibie. I have the write up if you need a scanned copy.

ca1a73

Bronco Guru
had the exact same problem. flashing on and off when switch heated up. Guys in here told me to change the switch, and also the dimmer just in case. No problems since(crossing fingers). been about a month or 2 now. I would suggest trying that 1st, before getting into the wirring.

HotWheels

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Twilight Zone
If your wiring is old gt a heaglight setup from centech. I'd hate to see your rig burning. You will need the additional light when winter hits. your choice. It is easy.

:(

Bronco Ben

Contributor
Jckofalltrdes master/none
Loc.
Coffeeville, Alabama
grab an old dimmer switch that you know works and plug it up and ground it, try your lights again and see what happens, almost sure this is the problem! GL
Ben