• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Header question, wrapped hedmans or ceramic coated?

Yellow75

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sioux Falls, SD
I've decided that my exhaust has to go. Mines rusted and kinked pretty bad in some spots where the axle crushed it. Not to mention the exhaust leaks at the donuts.. My question is.. The only heat reducing headers I see remember seeing are the duff's ceramic coated. Does anyone have any experience with header wrapping say a set of the hedmans from summit for 130bucks?? Would save me a couple hundred bucks.. But is it worth it? Without something around them i'm afraid I could cook eggs on the floor!

merciless

Loc.
Brooklyn, NY
From the research I have done go with the ceramic coated headers. The wraps do so well at containing the heat that the metal turns bright red underneath it which changes the structure of the metal from repeated heating and cooling = early failure.

http://www.jet-hot.com they used to have bronco headers listed for $250 or get some cheap $99(summit)or used ones and send it to them.

LSUpete

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Okay, here's my opinion....

I've have used Duff's ceramic coated, L & L from Jeff's Bronco Graveyard, Hookers and Hedmans. My opinion is that the Hedmans are the best, but only if you follow this process.

Do not order the Hedmans and then try to wrap them. Wrapping headers definitely reduces the heat, but it is a pain in the ass chore and this will definitely accelerate the rusting process. Call a company called Jet Hot in Pascagoula, Mississippi and tell them you want to have a set of headers coated. Then tell them that you would like for them to provide the Hedman headers and coat them....instead of you buying them yourself and shipping the headers to them. They get the headers directly from the maunfacturer and YOU save $$$$$$. I did it this way and was VERY pleased. Also, these hedman headers are very easy to install.

As for the others....

Duff's coating flakes off within one year. The L&L's are so hard to install that you will either ruin your marriage or kill your dog and the Hookers are not Bronco specific....no matter what they tell you.

Hope this helps.

OP
OP
Yellow75

Yellow75

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sioux Falls, SD
That's what I needed, I had a packet from jet-hot sent to me a year or so ago but never followed up on it.. I emailed them and am getting a quote on the rest from exhaust pro's today.. Thanks!!!!

Maybe I won't smell like an exhaust pipe when I take the bronco to work anymore!!!!!!! ;D

Just got a quote from Jet-hot, hedman headers shipped to my door with the sterling coating for 342.00.. I'm guessing it's just free shipping because I didn't tell him where I lived until after I said I might call back after lunch.. 2 weeks to get them and coat them and ship them out..

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
;D ;D ;D You dont want to rap them it is not good and it will also holed water and let them rust. ::) ::) ::) Bill 8) ::) :p

G

DON'T WRAP YOUR HEADERS!! I DID IT ONCE AND BURNED THE COLLECTORS OUT IN A MONTH. I'M TALKING LESS THAN 4000 MILES AND FAIRLY NEW HEADMAN HEADERS WERE HISTORY! HEADER WRAP IS FOR RACE CARS THAT DON'T RUN VERY LONG. DAVE

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
Go with the jet hot coating. I bought the ceramic from duffy and it started flaking after a couple weeks.

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV
My Duffy headers are ceramic coated and they are holding up 4 years later so I don't know what you guys are talking about. It's the same Jet-Hot coating as on my dad's car (yes I compared them). They still look good as new (minus the mud that is stuck to parts). As for header wrap, it is a bad idea, unless you are trying to save the environment and kill you pipes. A little heat through the floor boards never hurt anyone. But if you are concerned about heat, check out the latest addition of 4Wheel and Offroad because they heat-proof an EB.

iwlbcnu

Bronco Guru
I bought a set of those closeouts from Jet Hot, they were Dynomax and fit great. I did have to drop the sarter and front drive shaft to install but they fit great. The pass side is 3 piece.

Bronco73

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cape Coral, FL
[quote author=Yellow75 link=board=5;threadid=18882;start=0#msg144527 date=1055950348]
I've decided that my exhaust has to go. Mines rusted and kinked pretty bad in some spots where the axle crushed it. Not to mention the exhaust leaks at the donuts.. My question is.. The only heat reducing headers I see remember seeing are the duff's ceramic coated. Does anyone have any experience with header wrapping say a set of the hedmans from summit for 130bucks?? Would save me a couple hundred bucks.. But is it worth it? Without something around them i'm afraid I could cook eggs on the floor!

[/quote]

This may be a little off from what you are asking for but on my mustang I used POR and the headers are holding fine. I plan on using the POR on the Bronco when I get that far.

hakstooy

Loc.
Alexandria, VA
[quote author=76BroncoFromHell link=board=5;threadid=18882;start=0#msg144829 date=1056011857]
But if you are concerned about heat, check out the latest addition of 4Wheel and Offroad because they heat-proof an EB.
[/quote]

where can i pick up a copy of this magazine '76? i'd be REAL interested in such an operation. (i'm the poor sap with the hot feet thread)

OP
OP
Yellow75

Yellow75

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sioux Falls, SD
I could scan it and email it to you, if I can find the damn thing.. I have a drawer FULL of bronco and petersen magazines here at work ;D

hakstooy

Loc.
Alexandria, VA
oh man would i appreciate that. i suppose i should look into perhaps getting some subscriptions to help me along in learning what i am quite sure is going to end up being a LOT. :)

wouldn't it be funny if getting my bronco ends up making me read more? my parents will be so pleased.

Bronco73

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cape Coral, FL
[quote author=Yellow75 link=board=5;threadid=18882;start=0#msg144870 date=1056033619]
I could scan it and email it to you, if I can find the damn thing.. I have a drawer FULL of bronco and petersen magazines here at work ;D
[/quote]

Could you send me a copy of the scan? thanks bob

JaxLax

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Jacksonville, FL
do an old post search. I started a topic like this a while ago ;D. You got a ton of options, they just depend on where you want to put the protectant. You can run the gamet from spray-on to cloth to all-out insulation. We talked about that article it's: "Be Cool, Fool" pgs. 66-69 in June 2003 issue of Peterson's 4wheel and Off-road magazine. (I keep all Bronco related articles special for quick reference ::)) The article mainly deals with exhaust related cooling options.
i bet they hae some of the info on thier site, www.4wheeloffroad.com.
They went all out, they wrapped the exhaust pipes with header wrap, put in reflect-a-shield above mufflers, heat resistant cloth under tunnel cover, covered all lines and wires in aluminized cloth....etc