• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Headlight switch help!

Sixty9bronco

The switch in my 69 is goin bad. It's has a painless wire harness. I picked up a stock switch and it is not the same. To looks similar but the prongs on my switch run width ways instead of length ways and are positioned differently if that makes sense. Trying to figure out where to get a replacement for the one I have. Help would be appreciated. Have a pic but can't figure how to post it... I suck. Lol

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
.. You don't suck yet.!!
.. I believe you have to have 10 Post before you can post a picture. But Welcome aboard .
.. You may need to get a Just a different year of brand ... I'LL SWEAR I'VE PUT IN about 10 headlamp switches & I'm not sure I've had your Issues . CHECK DIFFERENT BRANDS... .

BluebroncoNC

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Asheville, NC
Interesting, I also had an issue with the "stock" replacement headlight switch from Painless, not working. All I did was plug back in the stock headlight switch and problem solved.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Interesting about yours working Bluebronco, because they're not supposed to be the same. I wonder if the connector still fits even though it's slightly different, or if something else was at work here?

What happened when they were developing the kit if I remember was that the original connectors were hard to source. Since the later light switch connectors were easier to find, they simply made the harness compatible with, and included the (supposedly better anyway) switch from a later vehicle.
I don't know what years or models they are from, but it doesn't necessarily even have to be a Ford switch, as a lot of switches were similar back in the day.

We sell one for "stock" replacement and one for Centech kits, which may very well be the same as the Painless one. But we'd have to check on that to be sure.

Paul

Texasslim

This raises at least one question as I have just started to research replacing my wiring harness. In your experiences do the aftermarket harnesses provide you with some or all of their switches, and should they go bad your only option is to buy it from them?