• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Headlight wiring help-Solved!

74BroncoCO

Bronco Guru
I installed some LED headlights and they are not working properly. I think one is partially blown because it doesn't work on High Beams and low beams are very dim.

I've done some research and determined what the pins are. I think this is correct...
Drivers side, looking at the female connectors, the right side is high beam, Top is Low beam, and the left is ground.
Passenger side is a mirror, with the ground being on the right.

First thing I notice is that the LED transformer connectors, the black wire is in the same position on both connectors, so it doesn't mirror. I assumed the black wire was ground, so I am not sure how this affects the headlights? Probably not at all since factory bulbs did not differentiate between driver or passenger side??

Below are my results and I am hoping someone can say that this looks good, or that I have an issue and hopefully how to address it!

My first concern is seeing voltage at both pins for both high and low beams. Do I have a bad switch? Thanks!!

This is the Voltage at each pin for these given scenarios:

Passenger side:

@ factory connector with:
headlights off
Low = 0
High = 0

Low Beam
Low = 12.4
High = 4

High Beam
Low = 12.6
High = 12.3

@ Transformer connector:
Headlights off
Low = 0.1
High = 0

Low Beams
Low = 12.4
High = 4

High Beams
Low = 12.8
High = 12.3

Driver side (one that doesn't work correctly)
@ factory connector with:
headlights off
Low = 0
High = 0

Low Beam
Low = 11.9
High = 0

High Beam
Low = 0.4
High = 11.4

@ Transformer connector:
Headlights off
Low = 0.1
High = 0

Low Beams
Low = 12.
High = 0

High Beams
Low = 7.5
High = 11.7

Last edited:

gr8scott

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Drivers side, looking at the female connectors, the right side is high beam, Top is Low beam, and the left is ground. Passenger side is a mirror, with the ground being on the right.
Should be, looking at the female connectors, high=left, low=top, ground=right. One side is not a mirror, they
should both be the same. What lights did you get? Mine had no transformer, they're plug and play,
but the connector orientation should be the same.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017TEMSAO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Attachments

• SUP Lights.jpg
    SUP Lights.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 23
OP
OP

74BroncoCO

Bronco Guru
Perhaps whomever added the pigtails didn't get them wired up correctly? Or just the drivers is wrong. However, the colors from the factory harness appear to match. So could the issue be at the switch?

The LED's are 7080 Evolution2; maybe a generic JW speaker model?

badmuttstang

redneck grease monkey
He got lights from me there's no transformer I'm getting a little confused about that. From the picture you sent me it honestly looks like you have an issue with your wiring and if there's a transformer on there than that really starts to make things weird. Please take a picture of this transformer.

OP
OP

74BroncoCO

Bronco Guru
He got lights from me there's no transformer I'm getting a little confused about that. From the picture you sent me it honestly looks like you have an issue with your wiring and if there's a transformer on there than that really starts to make things weird. Please take a picture of this transformer.

My terminology is probably wrong. It says CANBUS on it. Just the little box that plugs between the factory connector and the new light.

I'm going to check the wiring again today. I have that Red-black is low beam and green-black is high beam. So I'll verify that is the same on both plugs. But I do have an inclination that one is mirror of that??

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
CANbus is the computer controlled vehicle management system.
Controller Area Network.

OP
OP

74BroncoCO

Bronco Guru
Yeah, sorry. I had already zip-tied it in place before I read what was on it. And Electrical stuff is my achilles heel...

I hope to take a look today if I can make the time to get out there.

badmuttstang

redneck grease monkey
So did you plug in the extra harness that comes with the lights? It's a little extension that goes inbeteween the headlight plug and the stock plug if so take that out. It's for jeeps and newer vehicles.

OP
OP

74BroncoCO

Bronco Guru
I used it as I thought it was a transformer... So does it trick the computer on newer rigs so you don't get the "bulb out" warning light?

I'll check the wiring before I plug the lights back in, but it would be awesome if it all worked as it should once I get that sorted!

badmuttstang

redneck grease monkey
It's an anti flicker thing some jeeps need it I leave it in the box so if you or anyone that buys lights from me decides to sell them down the road or swap them on to a newer rig it's there.

OP
OP

74BroncoCO

Bronco Guru
I see!

So, my son and I got it figured out!!!! The drivers side high and low beams were cross threaded! So I moved them around in the very sloppy connector and viola! It all works as it should!! Now to aim them!

I will order new pigtails soon too as these are just shot!

Thanks for all the help!

OP
OP

74BroncoCO

Bronco Guru
Thank you! Me too. I didn't want to have to figure out how to replace them.