• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Heat shield for Flowmasters

brewdude

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Groveland, CA
I just recived my series 40 flowmasters and in the documentation it said that I should use a heat shield. Is it realy nessisary?

OP
OP
B

brewdude

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Groveland, CA
The documentation said that they recomend a heat shield on top of the muffler. Right now they are just infront of my rear axle.

J-DUB

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Edmonds
They reccomend the heat shield so that you don't cook like an oven in the cab, trust me, I feel like I am in a sauna without the sweet smell of cedar and naked women ;D when I drive for a hour in my bronco with the windows down.

Ranger77

Loc.
Albuquerque,NM
Like J-Dub said, only to keep things cooler. I didn't use any, but then again I've never sat in the back seat so I can't tell if they are putting out that much heat.

KST1

I guess it depends on what you can tolerate. I have a single Flowmaster and in the summer it gets hot enough over it that my dog won't sit in that spot. However, he won't move from the spot when it's winter.<br><br>I would like to know where to get the heat sheilds. Does Flowmaster sell them?<br><br>-D

Krusher

Loc.
Brookhaven, MS
The heat shield recommendation from Flowmaster, is more of a safety note than a fix for heat transfer to the inside. If you are using a rubber mat or carpet in the back, use a hot water heater blanket that you can purchase at most hardware/Home Depot stores. Very easy to cut to fit. Place the foil side down and matting side up. Use spray adhesive to hold it in place, and just install your mat or carpet over the top. Works great!