• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Heater Box hitting shifter area on NP435

DaveLev

Something has always puzzled me: The heater box - the plastic thing inside the cab that has the heater core in it that you attach the defrost ducts to - has been cut by prior owner to clear the NP435 shift box.

Is there a way to use the NP435 and not run into this problem?

How do others fix this issue, or is cutting the box how it is done?

I have remove the heater box and cleaned it up when I put in the aluminum heater core, but putting it back in I didn't see a way even with the defrost stuff removed from vehicle (missing) without hitting the shift box.

I know that WH sells a gear banger kit that moves the shift lever, but it doesn't hit the shifter or the boot - the metal box that seems to encase the top of the transmission.

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
I have been able to heat and bend my shifters enough to get them to clear. However I have had a 1" body lift on both of my Broncos that I put 435 trannys in.

ScanmanSteven

Bronco Guru
Heat it and bend it, might take a couple of tries, mine did. You might also bend in more than one place to make it comfortable to shift.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I just self clearance the heater the first time I put it in LOW. After that no ore issues. Everything worked fine. Did not make any difference in heater output.

My understanding is there are 2 different tower heights for the shift tower on the NP435. So that may have some effect on clearing some and not others.
I think mine was tall. Went even further then heat and bend. Went cut/weld. Took about 8" of length and one bend out. Made it a short throw shifter (as short as you would want to go on a 435 anyway, reverse took a little throw to get into that gate). Put the shift knob about where a 3-speed floor shifter would be and cleared the stock T-shift transfer case perfectly.