• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

HEI style distributor

694play

Just looking for some input on the HEI style all in one distributor. (AKA GM style)
what are the advantages/disadvantages.
anyone using this type setup?
thanks

raleigh_bronco

Bronco Guru
694play said:
Just looking for some input on the HEI style all in one distributor. (AKA GM style)
what are the advantages/disadvantages.
anyone using this type setup?
thanks

Take a look at the PerTronix HEI offered by BC Broncos. Dramatic difference in spark generated, ease in assembly, no points, easy repair etc.

Yellow75

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sioux Falls, SD
I'm using the DUI setup. Super easy to hook up plenty of power and I have the clear cover so you see it sparkle at night through the holes in the hood bubble :)

358212-1.jpg

The Race Ford D.U.I. (Davis Unified Ignition) is a one-piece ignition system that is designed for 9000 RPM's. It has the Racing D.U.I. Coil mounted inside the distributor cap and the Dyna-Module inside the distributor. It is an easy drop in installation with a one wire hook-up and no spark boxes are needed! This is the only one-piece, magnetic, 9000 RPM distributor available for the Fords

Last edited:

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Pros:
Service parts are available anywhere (coil, module, cap, rotor, etc.), eliminates the coil wire, eliminates all the wireing with the seperate module. Simple. Advance plates are real easy to access for tuning, wide gap between terminals.

Cons:
Looks like a GM part, must eliminate the ballest wire going to the distributor, harder to wire in aftermarket ignition boxes (MSD, Jacobs, etc.), may have interference issues with air cleaner and/or hood.

I don't run one, but I like the idea. If I was starting from scratch, I would consider it.

OP
OP
694play

694play

thanks for the input.
I think I may have air cleaner clearance issues if I go this route so I'm not sure it's worth it. Of course this could lead to a new proflow hood...it's a never ending cycle but so much fun;D

jate

Loc.
Salt Lake City
Yellow75 said:
I'm using the DUI setup. Super easy to hook up plenty of power and I have the clear cover so you see it sparkle at night through the holes in the hood bubble :)

358212-1.jpg

The Race Ford D.U.I. (Davis Unified Ignition) is a one-piece ignition system that is designed for 9000 RPM's. It has the Racing D.U.I. Coil mounted inside the distributor cap and the Dyna-Module inside the distributor. It is an easy drop in installation with a one wire hook-up and no spark boxes are needed! This is the only one-piece, magnetic, 9000 RPM distributor available for the Fords

I have just recently started considering going to the D.U.I. ignition system on a 351w that I am rebuilding. I have been thinking doing the regular route of either a Accel or MSD and a coil. The D.U.I. is expensive $350 vs. $280 for dizzy and coil. Is it worth it? I know the D.U.I. includes the module also, but do I need this? If I am going to the Mass Air EFI set up, by doing so will I still use the Ford module or does the ecm do away with that? Will the D.U.I. module interfere with the EFI at all? Where is the cheapest place to buy a D.U.I.?

Thanks!

jate

Loc.
Salt Lake City
I talked to performancedistributers and they said that with the Mass air EFI this unit would not work! Too bad, sounded like a great set up.

airman

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Broncobowsher said:
Pros:
Service parts are available anywhere (coil, module, cap, rotor, etc.), eliminates the coil wire, eliminates all the wireing with the seperate module. Simple. Advance plates are real easy to access for tuning, wide gap between terminals.

Cons:
Looks like a GM part, must eliminate the ballest wire going to the distributor, harder to wire in aftermarket ignition boxes (MSD, Jacobs, etc.), may have interference issues with air cleaner and/or hood.

I don't run one, but I like the idea. If I was starting from scratch, I would consider it.

Right again Broncobowsher. I had to replace my distributor this weekend and went with the HEI from the hot rod shop. The only bad thing was that when I was finished I could not shut the hood. I had to remove the support brace that goes across the hood to close on the 351W with stock body lift. Upon further examination I noticed that it had been rubbing my upper hose anyway.

Everything else about it is awesome. I removed a bunch of wire (one complete harness) the coil, and the ignition module. I can use the room too. I may mount a new musical horn there or something right? ;) Runs so smooth. I was going to do the MSD thing later this year but I did all of this for <$250.00! No brainer for me. Now I have a spare coil and ignition module for Bronco brothers on the trail.

Jeff in AZ

U

Unregistered

where did you pick it up?

250.00 sounds like my kind of budget

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV
How about this alternative performance mod:

Take a Duraspark Dizzy and change the springs to a fast advance curve (2200-2800 RPM):

Cost: $5.99

Change the mechanical advance settings by taking the snap ring off the upper shaft and shifting the stops to a lower set already integral to your distributor:

Cost: Free

Now your distributor you can pick up from any wrecking yard (Duraspark II from 1975-1985 in most cars but there are some exceptions).

Cost: $25-40

A New module for it: $25-35

Here's a complete write-up on the specifics:

http://reincarnation-automotive.com/Duraspark_distributor_recurve_instructions_index.html