• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Height differences front to rear between axle and frame. Normal?

Fritz

My truck has a noticable rake to it.

DSC00101.JPG.jpg

Now admitadly some of this has to do with the top being removed, but in the back of my mind I think I have the wrong front coils. I have a 351W and a winch and I'm supposedly using the 5.5" coils for that application, however the coils have not visable markings on them to verify.

My height from the top of the axle to the bottom of the frame is as follows:

Front: 12"
Rear: 12.5"
Front Fender lip to center of axle: 26"
Rear fender lip to center of axle: 29.25"

Is this a normal variance and height for my lift? I know I can remove a leaf from the rear, but I kinda wish it was still bigger (don't we all :p)

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
If the coils are from me and they still look new send them back and I will exchange them for taller ones. From axle tube to frame should be about 12.5" for a 5.5" lift so they are close. Check to be sure the shackle is straight up and the bolts are not too tight.

OP
OP
F

Fritz

Wow, awesome to hear. I'll be sure to be gentle with the springs just in case ;D I was going to call you first but I figured you weren't in yet.

I'm going to redo the front suspension anyway and see if that can fix my steering, which my primary problem at the moment, and hopefully my 'rake'.

By shackles you mean the rear shackles? Yeah they are nearly straight up (5* slanted to the front). The front spings do kinda bend outwards which leads me to think something might be amiss with the front end. (see below)

springs.jpg

I was hoping the rear would just settle when I drove it, but sadly the truck has been around the block only twice since I put the lift/steering on.

It hasn't moved much in 2 years :(

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
It sounds like the leafs are too tall, if they are mine you can exchange them but the shipping will be much higher. Either way, let me know.