• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Height of shoulder tie point on a 3 point seatbelt

Gas Pig

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What is a good height/measurement to locate the shoulder tie point on the roll bar while do a 3 point seatbelt conversion?

Thanks Jeff

Sac '68 sport

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Orangevale
It will depend on what seats you have and how tall you and your passengers are. I put mine just above my shoulders, but I'm 6'4 so I know they will be a little high for most that ride in my bronco. I have little clip deals that attach the part that goes over your shoulder to the part that goes down to the retractor so it can be made to work for shorter people with out choking them. I figure in this case I can make them shorter for other people but not taller for me. I think the biggest thing is you don't want it below your shoulder.

Heus33

Bronco Guru
-hijack-

How's the progress coming Jeff? Post up some pics!!!

68rockcrawler

Bronco Guru
I just got some measurements from my daily driver truck before I mounted my 3 point belt.

Dude seriously

Loc.
Everett
I installed the WH kit and followed the directions which I think said to drill the hole around 35" +/- above the floor. It works out well for me, but not so much for my wife.

The arm that bolts to the cage over the shoulder is pre-bent and at that height it sticks out too much and the belt doesn't touch her shoulder. If I was doing it again, I'd have the primary user sit in their seat and locate it to fit them.

66bronco74

Loc.
Upland, CA
I got a set of seat belts and shoulder belts from a 62 or 65 T-Bird. I mounted the shoulder mount to the side bar bolt of my smittybuilt roll bar. I'm 5'10" and it fits me fine. Also my seats have new foam so they are not too low.

SwedenBronco

Loc.
Gothenburg, Sweden
You would probably need to test fit the seatbelt, I have a Mini Cooper that has a three point belt, there the shoulder point is a little to low for me, it's not like it's below my shoulder but more or less straight back, and every time I drive it when I haven't driven it in a while I get very tired in my left shoulder and a stiff neck, so be careful so you don't make it less comfortable then it needs to be, try to measure the height above your shoulder in your daily driver, so you get an idea of what height you need...

OP
OP
Gas Pig

Gas Pig

Contributor
Bronco Guru
-hijack-

How's the progress coming Jeff? Post up some pics!!!

The progress is going well and hopefully I'll post up pics here soon!

Thanks and I'll keep you posted.

OP
OP
Gas Pig

Gas Pig

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks to all! At least it give me a baseline to work off of.

I do like Steve's idea on finding a vehicle that fits right and measuring off the seat and transferring the measurement to the Bronco.

Thanks once again for everyone's input!

Mao

Loc.
Greenwood, LA
A possible reference is car seats for children. The instructions state (for the height adjustable - over the shoulders) that it must be at least horizontal, but higher is better. I suspect the point is to avoid compressing your back during a collision by having the upper point above the shoulder of the tallest person sitting there.

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
It depends on the angle of the chair. If the seatback is perfectly vertical (never), then horizontal would be the lowest for the shoulder point. But the general rule is: perpendicular to the seatback. Any lower, and the belt will severely compress your collarbone/rib cage/spine when you pitch forward in the chair. It's gonna compress some no matter what, but the amount increases rapidly as the shoulder point is lowered.