• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Hello All - need some advice re: insurance

doublej

Loc.
Matthews, NC
Hey everyone, new here. Hope to be a regular. My wife and I are so close to getting our first bronco but we cant figure out the insurance piece. Hagerty denied bc we wouldn't have a primary car for the both of us other than the bronco, Geico will only allow me to drive in parades.

So anyone else out there have their bronco as the 2nd car? how do you insure it? We both work from home so it wont get heavy work..but I cant convince the agents of that..

Jdgephar

Bronco Guru
I had it appraised and used that appraisal to get regular full coverage (collision and liability) insurance from AAA for the appraised amount here in MI. It's not cheap because of MI insurance, but it's not that much more than any of my other vehicles.

Ksm

Bronco Guru
I had it appraised and used that appraisal to get regular full coverage (collision and liability) insurance from AAA for the appraised amount here in MI. It's not cheap because of MI insurance, but it's not that much more than any of my other vehicles.

I did the same.

FordFarmer

Contributor
I have progressive and we just insured it as a normal car, costs about the same as our '13 Flex. I have a stated value (not "agreed" and I don't have any guarantee that they'll pay it) of 15k on the policy. I'm actually thinking about changing that because I'm not sure I could easily replace my truck with one of like kind for that amount and I'd hate for them to use the stated value as a reason not to give me more.

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
I have nationwide and it just has basic insurance, no mileage or use limits. Its really cheap but it is very limited coverage!

67RT

Bronco Guru
I don't think you will get a specialty rate/classic policy if you have two drivers and one other car. You also will have difficulty finding an agreed value policy with that situation. State Farm allows me limited use and an agreed value, but it is an "extra" car.

OP
OP
D

doublej

Loc.
Matthews, NC
So with the regular or normal insurance if you are totaled are you screwed? the thought of driving around on eggshells just doesn't sound enjoyable..not to mention the loss of $$

Tahoedawg

Loc.
Eugene
I had mine appraised and covered for the amount of the appraisal...because its a classic that I drive daily. State Farm

Ksm

Bronco Guru
So with the regular or normal insurance if you are totaled are you screwed? the thought of driving around on eggshells just doesn't sound enjoyable..not to mention the loss of $$

Yes, there a dozens of threads on here about being screwed when insuring these types of vehicles...unless it's a pleasure car and you store it in a garage all year long. Any outside the box use and you can get insured...it just costs 4x's as much.

Gpops

Had mine appraised and insured full coverage at that value on a classic insurance policy which limits the mileage and states that you are only supposed to be driving for shows or repairs and maintenance etc.

Pretty sure anytime I drive it I'm having to diagnose new sounds, part of the repairs and maintenance process, in my opinion.

67RT

Bronco Guru
I had mine appraised and covered for the amount of the appraisal...because its a classic that I drive daily. State Farm

Did State Farm ask you for mileage? I have their binder and they did ask me for mileage, no limit on locked garage, etc...

SteveMa74

Did you have to use a state farm approved appraiser? just curious as I got turned down by Haggerty recently...cited "too many modifications". I'm with AAA and have it insured at stated value of $25K, but they did not ask for any kind of appraisal.

67RT

Bronco Guru
Did you have to use a state farm approved appraiser? just curious as I got turned down by Haggerty recently...cited "too many modifications". I'm with AAA and have it insured at stated value of $25K, but they did not ask for any kind of appraisal.

"Stated Value" is not worth 25k replacement value and that is why you didn't need an appraisal. Usually "stated value" binders have a clause that allow an "actual cash value" payout if that is less. That is why an appraisal will help you.

For my State Farm agreed value policies on my classics they asked for pictures but stated no appraisal needed since my $ value was within their expectation for the car...

miikee73

Shadetree Guru
Loc.
Aloha
Well you could always buy a POS for a second car. Just something you can throw the legal limit insurance on,than you can insure the Bronco as a classic.