• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Hello guys, long-overdue to join, question on what to do?

BroncoLuva

Hi guys,

I've had my '69 Harbor Blue Bronco for 28 years, and love it. It has a Koenig PTO winch and aftermarket a/c, and came out of Texas. It is pretty much all stock except for a 4bbl intake and carb. As you know, not too many options back then, and I bought a 1976 Bronco Sport for parts to add auto, p/s, pbd to the '69. Well, I'm thinking I might try to bring the '76 back to life because it has the cool color code #2, Tangerine. I've seen some that color restored and they look awesome (http://www.nwautofab.com/project6.html) . Big problem is that it was used as a plow truck in New England and the road salt here rusted the frame in two and has pretty much affected most other parts of the truck. Is it worth it in your opinion to try to restore it? The previous owner grabbed a few parts from it, but I didn't care becuase at the time I only wanted the tranny, p/s, and pdb and paid $400 for it and no plans to restore.
I don't have the title, but could get oneI think, and I guess I'd swap the ID tags onto the resoration pieces, and I'll need everything body-wise and a new frame.
Glad to hear your opinions. Looking forward to contributing to site.
Best regards.

BL

Hank_

Bronco Guru
Welcome to the site. It would be a big help if you could post some pics of the bronco you want to restore so we have something to work with. You can become a contributor to the site and you can post pics from here.

Henry

Georgelas

Loc.
Vienna
Jeffs Bronco Grave Yard has a Mandrell Bent frame that I have been drooling over for some time now.

Cheers

OP
OP
B

BroncoLuva

Pictures coming

Hello Hank,

I need to set up an account to post, but basically the pictures will show a very rusty truck with the passenger side frame rail gone and the seat almost on the ground. Rust holes in all the sheet metal pieces, windshield frame in two pieces, and unlikely to save any fenders or quarters. All of the engine brackets are there, but heavy rust and
I might have to replace a lot of them and metal/rubber hoses. Think of the worst rust you've seen on a car or truck in a boneyard, and that is this truck.
What I'd be saving would be the engine, tranny, front and rear axles, glass, ps, pdb, steeing column, and what ever data tags are there. George mentioned a new frame that sounds good, I'll take a look at it.
My blue '69 is nice, but the Tangerine paint done up nice looks awesome. Any educated guess on expense (albeit without pictures)?
Best regards.

John aka BL

OP
OP
B

BroncoLuva

Thanks for the hellos

I might have found a frame, will get pictures tomorrow. I'll do most of the work myself except what I can't like paint and some body work. I need a bead blaster. I looked at the new frame being sold, a beauty, but I'd buy the old one if the rust is minimal surface like mentioned and it looks good. The '76 is a actually a Ranger model, a big plus. So sorry it was so trashed when I bought it 'cause I didn't try to preserve the interior.
I like the '69 a lot, and like originality, so I don't want to change the color, but that may be an option. Always liked the orange color too, and if I could get the '76 to look like the one in the link above, prolly have a woody driving it.
Best regards.

BL

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
Welcome to the site! What ever you think it will cost, double it at least! You talk about a New England truck, where are you located? Lots of Broncos in New England.

OP
OP
B

BroncoLuva

I'm on the North Shore, Danvers

Hello Fatboy,

Yeah, I don't think I'll get out of this cheap. I will have to farm some of the work out because I'm pretty busy, but I do like turning wrenches. The '76 came out of New Hampshire 20 years ago, frame rusted in two. But I'm getting excited to get on with a car/truck project, and this might be it. I did want to use the power parts for the '69, but would like an eye catching color too like the Tangerine. So, I'll gather some info and see which direction is best to go. Once done it'd be a summer/ no salt vehicle.
Best regards.

BL

OP
OP
B

BroncoLuva

Received text pictures of replacement frame - can someone take a look at them?

I received the pictures of a possible replacement frame for the '76, and I haven't done this before so wondering if someone can take a look at them for me? From what I can see looks like a rusted spring perch, but I think those can be repaired, but not sure of the rest. I can text or email the pictures to you. Please PM me if you have some time to look. Thanks.

BL

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
WHERE is it? I also have a parts rig that has a pretty nice frame in it as well.....

OP
OP
B

BroncoLuva

Tasker, interested in what you have

This frame is about a 600 mile drive away from me, so if you have something in NH that is sound, I'm interested. Thanks.
Best regards.

BL