• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

HELP! 30 Y.O. Valve Cover Gasket Removal

Ed74

Loc.
San Diego, CA
Hi everyone,

I desperately need some advice. I have been in the process of removing my 30 year old valve cover gaskets for the past 2 hours and have had minimal progress. There must be an easier way to remove the old gaskets. is there a good solvent I can use? Also, what is the best way to prevent the old gasket material from falling into the heads? I covered the heads with oil rags, but they are not too effective. I have cleaned most of the debris out, however there is still small traces left. Will this harm my engine?

Thank you,
Ed

70_Steve

Old Guy
I've actually had some success soaking gaskets with WD-40. I've also made my own gasket scraper out of and old, 1" wide hacksaw blade from an ancient power hacksaw. It will hold an edge like nothing I've ever seen. I have almost no problems scraping anything off of a cast iron, or steel surface. Actually, the only problem I have is trying to keep from gouging the cast iron!!!

Don't know what you're using to scrape the old gasket off, but make sure it has a sharp edge.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I've had pretty good luck soaking them with carb cleaner although that may not work so good on the head. There I use a chisel as 70 steve said something sharp works well. Dont worry to much about some gasket materials making there way to the oil pan you can always change the oil before starting back up and you have a filter.

Southerner

I use a small metal paint scraper. Before I start removing the old gasket, I always sharpen the edge with my bench grinder and it peels it off no problem, also the scraper isn't heavy enough to scratch up the gasket mating surface too bad. I've never tried soaking the gasket but that would have to help loosen it up. Hope that helps.

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
Get yourself one of those brand name gasket scrapers that are up for the task. I use a Snap On one that has a long reach, I got it from the local swap meet for cheap $5. And for the little pieces that won't come off with the scraper use that 3M thingy that you put on a drill and polish it off, Its that stuff that looks like seaweed, It has a center arbor, and it is also used to remove paint. Use a shop vac to pick up the pieces while you're scraping it.

ElJefe

Loc.
San Diego
For the hard to scrape and REALLY cooked on gaskets... I use small 2" dia scotch brite ro-lock pads in a air die grinder. You can get a ro-lock kit for a die grinder at harbor freight for around 7 bucks. Cast iron comes out shiny and new from under the scotch brite pads.

As far as keeping stuff from falling into the heads, I take a clean towel, drape it over the rocker arms, and stuff it down into the head. Give it a light spray of WD and all of the crap will stick to the towel.

Good luck...

68 Broncoholic

Bronco Guru
Loc.
WA
I use a 2" scraper as well. I then use a Vacume while getting the rest off the head so nothing goes down the tubes. Works pro but is loud.

OP
OP
E

Ed74

Loc.
San Diego, CA
Thanks for all of the extremely useful info! I apologize for not responding earlier. My internet access temporarily crashed! I finally removed the 30 yo gaskets with much pain and frustration. I used a sharp putty nife and a razor blade. As for the debris I stuffed the heads with oil rags. Despite all the hard work, I am happy with the results. Atleast I will no longer have several inches of oil and debris crusted along side my engine and on top of my tranny ;D