• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

HELP !5.5 super flex lift

1 old 67

Loc.
L.A.
I just got a 5.5 super flex suspension lift from bronco graveyard i just want to know about how long it should take to put in and if there is any surprises to look forward to i would like to know be for i start thanks

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
about the only surprises are getting the rusty bolts loose start soaking the all the bolts and the dreaded bronco lean. If working by yourself you can do it in about a day. Also impacts help out a lot.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Plan on at least a weekend. surprises can be few or none be prepared for rusted bolts. brake lines will probably be next to impossible to get off without damage so plan on replacing them to. Driveshafts probably wont fit unless you bought extended ones already.

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
Yeah all good advice so far. Extended brake lines will be necessary, if you havent bought them yet, you can try one of the west coast vendors; they should be abel to get them to you quickly. If you plan on doing it this weekend, go pick up some PB Blaster today and start spraying down all of the old bolts that will need to come out...try not to miss the hard to find ones...this will make disassembly easier. If you have some time, you may want to look at the hardware that is holding all of the suspension on; its not a bad idea to replace most of it with new Grade 8 stuff. It will be hard to figure out the sizes needed for everything, so maybe plan 1 day of tear down and one day to put it all back together with a trip to the hardware store in between. Sometimes the rear shackles on the leafs can freeze-up; the bolts tend to sieze on the steel sleeve, which can make them nightmares to get out. So you may need a sawzall to cut the bolt between the rear hanger and the shackle. Once its cut from both sides the bolt will come out easily; I had a tough time removing these a couple of months ago. An impact will help with disassembly...but isnt required. A 'breaker bar' is a necessity though to get leverage...1/2" sockets and a breaker bar will really make it "possible"...a standard 3/8" socket set is a nightmare. Also, there will probably be a few larger nuts/bolts that you will need to get special sockets (1 1/8 or 1 1/16) for but you can pick them up on the fly at your local parts store as they become necessary. Take you time and try to have FUN. Good luck.

John

OP
OP
1 old 67

1 old 67

Loc.
L.A.
hey thanks sounds like it should not be that hard any one know if i have to change the drive shafts right when i do it or can i drive it home from a friends house i want to change the tranny to something other then the three on the tree and would like to only put the shafts in once? not sure if it makes a diff butt i put a 2" body lift on it allready and it has 31' tires [COLOR="Yellow"][/COLOR]

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
1 old 67 said:
hey thanks sounds like it should not be that hard any one know if i have to change the drive shafts right when i do it or can i drive it home from a friends house i want to change the tranny to something other then the three on the tree and would like to only put the shafts in once? not sure if it makes a diff butt i put a 2" body lift on it allready and it has 31' tires [COLOR="Yellow"][/COLOR]
You will have to get the drive shaft lengthend. Mine with just a 3 1/2 lift right after I put my lift on went to take it for a test drive and the shaft fell out right off the bat, just the rear the fronts seem to be a little longer but I don't think it will still be long enough.
hth

OP
OP
1 old 67

1 old 67

Loc.
L.A.
thanks guys it well be about two weeks till i can put it in i will take some pics and put them up here so you guys can get a look then you all can maybe point me in the right direction for a new manual tranny this three on a tree is not right for me i would like a 4or5 speed

scsm76

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Shaver Lake, CA
You won't know about the driveshafts until it is done. With 3.5" mine was fine now with 5.5 it fits but is so far out on the splines I would not use it , maybe to get across town once. While you have the rearend out I would put some 6 degree steel shims in to help your pinion angle.

scottmcwms

Loc.
Montgomery, TX
If you get done and the rear driveshaft doesn't fit you can always put the t-case in 4-high, disconnect the rear driveshaft totally and drive home. I wouldn't go to fast though. You never know what could happen. You shouldn't have to lengthen your front driveshaft as the arc of the front suspension is dictated by the radius arms. If you use the same radius arms then your front driveshaft should be approx the same length as a stock suspension.

Scott

kontinu

Loc.
mount holly
What I did for the front driveshaft was take the slip yoke off of a rear driveshaft and put it on the front. The slip is a couple inches longer I think, and it worked great for me. For the rear driveshaft mine was actually long enough but i'm sure i'll eventually have to do something.