• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Help a newbie change the rear diff seal

T

teknalee

What do i need to buy? oil (how much what kind), gasket/sealant etc whatever.. i just need to change the 9'er. it has my gas tank covered in oil and so is it... big mess.. been like this for awhile.. gonna maybe tackle the job tommorow would like a basic quick walk through so i make sure i do it right.. i looked at the haynes manual.. isn't very detailed.. but i think i got it.. just wanna be sure.. thanks!

OP
OP
T

teknalee

looks like it's coming from where the drive shaft connects to and the housing

cal

Loc.
Raleigh, NC
I've tried to replace mine twice with no success. I know you have to be extra careful when seating the<br>new seal, but I never seem to get mine right. It stays dry for 2 or 3 months, then it starts leaking again.<br> <br>I've read that using a high temp liquid seal helps keep things dry. One thing I haven't done is<br>check the pressure release outlet. I guess it could be clogged and causing the oil to overheat.<br><br>If you do a search on "pinion seal" you'll get some good results.

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
::) ::) ::) What I do if im doing it on the bronco take a pc. of wood and cut a hole in it so the shaft will stick out and then hammer the the new seal into place and get a good one with lip on the out side and make sure it is squair in the opening and when you tighten the pinon nut DO NOT get it to tight or you will fry the pinon berg. good luck. :p :p :p Bill 8) ::) :p

6677ebman

Bronco Guru
I've never bought a Bronco that didn't need a pinion seal, I believe the part ## is National 7044NA, it's pretty easy to do, I put one in the other night, took about 15 minutes, just get it flush, and make sure the shaft on the yoke isn't worn too bad, it'll probably have a groove in it, just put the seal on there while the yoke is off, to see if it seals it off. Good luck!

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
Like wild bill says Do Not over tighten the pinion nut. I would think if you were continually blowing the seals maybe the driveshaft is out of balance or u-joints.