• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Help!! Cooling System/ Thermostat question!!!

G

Help!! Cooling System/ Thermostat question!!!

Ok everybody, here is the deal...

I just turned 16 not long ago and I am loving the 73 Bronco I get the pleasure of driving around. However, not too long ago i was driving home and noticed it was running very hot, and it was steaming when i parked in my driveway. Now I am currently not very mechanicaly inclined, but I was hoping owning this Bronco would get me on my way there. So one of my friends came over and said that the thermostat was stuck and showed me what to do to replace it. So after replacing it and being very satisfied with my first experience working w/ the Bronco, it began to overheat again and I realized that i had put it in backwards hahah ;D

Anyways i put a new thermostat in the right way this time and filled up the radiator w/ coolant and water and everything my friend (who works as a mechanic during the summer) told me to. But it still runs around 200-210 degrees idling on a 180 thermostat. ANyone have this problem before or is this the normal running temperature for an EB? I realize it might be a bad guage but it seemed to work earlier......
Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated

Augustus

Loc.
South Milwaukee, WI.
Re: Help!! Cooling System/ Thermostat question!!!

I have a 180 themostat and my gauge reads around 200. Just be aware of other signs of over heating.

broncolove

The Bronco Ranch
Loc.
S.E. Michigan

On a 80-90 degree day, its pretty much standard for a eb to run 200 plus while stuckin traffic.

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV

Yeah, 200 is about right unless you replace your radiator with a 4 Core. I used to be from 210-220 in traffic, now I stay at 180 all the time. The 4 Core really helps that much.

jims66

[quote author=76BroncoFromHell link=board=5;threadid=19870;start=0#msg152539 date=1057914964]
Yeah, 200 is about right unless you replace your radiator with a 4 Core. I used to be from 210-220 in traffic, now I stay at 180 all the time. The 4 Core really helps that much.
[/quote]

Who did your radiator and what is it?

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru

I live in Texas where the heat is excruciating (95-100 degrees until September). With a Duffy 4 core radiator and 160 t- stat, I run about 170-190 in traffic. In the winter though it is the old cardboard on the radiator trick to make the heater blow warmer air.

Consider flushing the system to make it run more efficiently (all you need is a garden hose and a 6-pack and some new coolant). It is a good idea to do this at least once a year, if not to get the funky old stuff out, but it gives you an opportunity to inspect the system for leaks and malfunctions.

72_EB

Contributor
66to77

This brings me back to when I was sixteen. :)
It was on a trip up to Wisconsin in my '65 Mustang Fastback to go waterskiing with my best friend. The old pony overheated from a stuck t-stat when we were almost there. Bummer! This was the beginning of the adventure with classic Ford and all types of repairs. Anyway, thanks for the memory! :)

Back to you cooling issue, one thing you might try is a product called Wet Wetter. I just picked some up at the parts store and think it will be nice to dump in the radiator during the summer. It claims to lower operating temps up to 20 degrees. Good thing in the hot summer. Then you can drain and refill the system in Fall when it starts to get cold. Much easier than changing out the t-stat. A friend of mine has been using the stuff for a while with good results.

The other thing that might help is a fan shroud if you don't have one already. Especially in the slow going stop and go city driving.

Good luck with it!

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru

What fan do you have? you need the 7 blade factory fan with a fan shroud. Also check that the lower radiator hose still has a spring inside just squeese it and if you cant easily flatten it the spring is still good. Make sure your fan belts are tight.