• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Help figure out my clicking or ticking sound

daren

I am completely at a loss and need help figuring out where this noise is coming from. I have a ticking or clicking sound that I am having difficulty figuring out.
I can barely hear the noise when I am sitting at and idle, but the noise can easily be heard as rpms decrease as I coast to a stop

I used a piece of hosing and listened around the engine to see if it is coming from under the valve cover, which it wasn't. I was hoping I would find an exhaust leak but did not find one. I did find a lose spark plug and it did not make a difference. The only thing that stood out was as the spark plug boot on the ignition coil. I can see an arc from the boot to the negative post on the ignition coil. Am I correct to assume that this is not normal? And could this possibly be a cause for the noise I am having? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

itsabronco

Loc.
Banning, CA.
definitely that is not right to see an arc. Put your ride in the garage at night with all the lights off, open hood and start it. If you see fire works from the plug wires, or any wires, not good. time to replace them.

It could also be your speedometer cable making noise. It wont at a stop but only when your moving. Does your speedo needle bounce around??

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I'd get some new plug wires and use dielctric grease on the boots to help prevent the arcing. While that arcing could cause a ticking noise I really dont think you would be able to hear it while driving.
ticking noises can be hard to track down even exhuast leaks can be hard to track down sometimes you wont know until the manifold is pulled off the engine. I had a fuel pump that made a ticking sound before it was leaking and going bad and the new pump didnt make the sound.
Your probably just going to have to try and pin point it better.

Heus33

Bronco Guru
I ran through the same issues that you had and was convinced that I had an exhaust leak or a lifter tick. After doing a lot of searching I remember resting my hand on the fan shroud and the ticking noise got louder.

Turned out my radiator mounts were worn and it allowed my radiator to tilt back a degree or two and the fan was just barely contacting the shroud.

Sometimes its the easiest things that need to be checked first.