• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Help for a Novice - Cooling

kcn5xxs

Loc.
The OC
What should the normal operating temperature be for a 302? My 1974 Ranger seems to be running at about 195, which seems hot to me. What temperature thermostat do you all have in your 302's?

Thanks

kbldawg

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marshall, AR
I just replaced my thermostat and found that the most common replacements were 160 and 180. If it's running 195, I would think that's pretty normal in the summer.

ObscureMachine

Seatbelt Orifice Officer
Loc.
World Headquarters
I think 195 is okay. I think there are a couple of different choices for thermostat temp. My rig runs about 175, but I think I put in a lower temp thermostat.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Thermostat

You should really keep the thermostat range that the car was designed for. It won't help at all to have it running 160 on a cool day. That same thermostat won't keep the engine from overheating on a hot day. I keep the 194 in mine and it pretty much stays there. If you have overheating problems, you need to fix the real problem. These things are hard to cool by nature but you need to make sure the cooling system is in good shape, the fan is the heavy duty flex model, you need a shroud, ignition timing and idle speed correct, and don't put too much anti-freeze into the coolant. It won't hurt it to get up to 220 idling on a very hot day if the cooling system is tight and the cap is good.
I've got a "77. 302, A/T, A/C, P/S, & have pulled my vintage 15' camp trailer on a 107 degree day up to Huntington Lake at 7000'. Can't say I wasn't a little worried but I'm about to make the same trip over again this year!