• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

HELP.. fuel pump cam hits timing cover

Broncobowsher

Total hack
There are 2 different fuel pump ecentrics (1-piece and 2-piece) and 2 different thicknesses of cam sprocket. You have the wrong mix of parts. Common build glitch on small block fords.

ryansbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
The place of bronco
shoot some pics of the current set up
do you have the part number of the cam and trimming chain
check the year of your block
the cam has a pin on the end the timing gear should fit sooth

did you use locktight on the bolt that hold the concentric on? Ive had them back out before and it will hit the inside of the timing cover.

Last edited:

John Marinan

Contributor
Loc.
Durango CO.
You can just grind it off with an angle grinder. I've done it many times takes about 5 minutes to mark it and grind it off.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Can I trim an 1/8" off the cam with a lathe or bridgeport?

It is NOT the cam. The cam gear is what has 2 different thicknesses. Taking material off the end of the cam is only going to destroy the cam. The cam retainer will keep the cam sprocket in the same place (still rubbing the cover) while misaligning the distributor gear and all the lobes.

There is no point in modifying the wrong parts when you can simply get the correct parts and bolt them on.

ryansbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
The place of bronco
It is NOT the cam. The cam gear is what has 2 different thicknesses. Taking material off the end of the cam is only going to destroy the cam. The cam retainer will keep the cam sprocket in the same place (still rubbing the cover) while misaligning the distributor gear and all the lobes.

There is no point in modifying the wrong parts when you can simply get the correct parts and bolt them on.

this.......
start with a different timing set

OP
OP
M

mkcj

Loc.
Seatac/Winthrop, Wa
No it's a 70's cover here is the cover and the cam you can see the mark on the inside of cover where the cam is hitting it. And no the pin is not coming through and hitting the washer just checked that
DSC_0143.jpg

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
The listings for timing sets specify either one or two piece fuel pump eccentrics. You just need to look at the eccentric and buy the right timing set.

ryansbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
The place of bronco
No it's a 70's cover here is the cover and the cam you can see the mark on the inside of cover where the cam is hitting it. And no the pin is not coming through and hitting the washer just checked that
DSC_0143.jpg

with the ware on the washer it looks like your bolt backed out on you
did you use locktight
did the fuel pump bolt up
It looks like you have a one piece

Outlaw Bronco

Loc.
Shenandoah, VA
Ran into the same issue on mine. Camshaft gears are thicker on the newer stuff. I just chucked it up in the lathe and machined the face area where the ecentric mates, to the old gear thickness and all was good. Thinking i took around .090 thou off?

Cutting the ecentric it's self would be another option, but remember they are pretty darn hard!

OP
OP
M

mkcj

Loc.
Seatac/Winthrop, Wa
I talked to the guy that built the engine and he said I would have the same problem w/2 piece. Double roller chain are a little wider so I just removed some from the front of the ecentric.