• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

HELP! i think....351 issues

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
my t/convertor seems to be tight against the flexplate (351 install in progress) am i'm pulling this motor out to seat the convertor? have i damaged anything yet? (not turned over, maybe rotated a little just to set timing)

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
1) There is not enough space to fit the flexplate without lining up the converter studs to the flexplate holes.

2) The converter may not be completely installed. The base of the studs (flat washer like area) should be about 1" inside the bellhousing opening when the converter is completely installed.

3) If the converter was not completely installed and you tried to force the engine and trans together you could have damaged the inner pump gear. Now good way to know unless you take it apart.

OP
OP
tasker

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
the block is bolted to the c-4....no ''wiggling" the convertor. have to do a better check tonight but looks like this is coming apart again doesn't it? i understand there should be some free play with the convertor correct? all the studs and the drain are ligned up....can i tell visually on the front pump gear? thanks Viper!

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Not really much free play. Converter may set back 1/4" until the nuts are installed.

If there's a pilot bearing in the crankshaft it needs to come out.

If you remove the converter seal you might be able to see some of the inner pump gear. You would not be able to see where this gear was cracked though. Also look at the converter snout to see if it has marks from trying to go into the gear wrong.

If you think the pump may be damaged I would take the pump off and check it out. It would cost a new pump gasket. Tighten the front band first so the clutches don't move then remove the pump. 5 bolts hold the stator to the pump body. Remove them and you have access to the gears.

Attachments

• Bronco 019.jpg
    Bronco 019.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 25

JohnJohn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Richmond
Randy,
In the hand full of motors I have installed with auto trans I just lined them up and turned the converter until it fell into place and I was able to get the converter nut and bolts on. you may be able to feel it come together in two stages as it seats.
It sounds like you may have got it.
Are you seeing or feeling something out of place?

OP
OP
tasker

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
I'm told that there should be some movement even though the studs are through the flexplate....this thing fought me the whole way so i won't be surprised if it's f'ed up :mad:

OP
OP
tasker

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
"I pull motors out.....and put them back in" went together much easier second time. trimmed the hydroboost bracket as well. Hopefully button most of it up tonight or this weekend. have to wait on the balancer as he may be doing it saturday.....stay tuned!

OP
OP
tasker

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
if it's not right, i'm towing it to the island of misfit toys and have Bmc and Odie fix it while filly and i drink Coronas! ;)

OP
OP
tasker

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
buy, buy, buy! oh wait......watching "Trading Places" but buy, buy, buy! ;D

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
if it's not right, i'm towing it to the island of misfit toys and have Bmc and Odie fix it while filly and i drink Coronas! ;)

Oh ye of little faith. It will leave your driveway under it's own power. Then we can drive it to the island of misfit toys and drink Coronas with BMC, Odie and Filly!