• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

HELP ID THIS 79 bronco dana 44hp what LS is this?

Bronco717274

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tremont, Ms.
Photo248.jpg

Photo243.jpg

Photo249.jpg

Photo247.jpg

Photo246.jpg This is a 79 Bronco dana 44hp front axle I ran across, it is in perfect shape. It has some type of LS unit in it with 3:50 gears, can anyone tell me what unit this is it's the factory unit and what it's worth. Not the whole axle just the unit and gears as I'm going with a detroit and 4:88s Thank's

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bronco717274

Bronco717274

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tremont, Ms.
This thing is tight, I stuck a tire tool thru one axle u-joint and prybar thru the other and I can't make it slip. What is it. anyone know?????

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
Not Sure. I've never heard of Ford putting in a full locker from the factory. May just be a Ford LS in really good shape. Unless it's aftermarket. Anything about the Bronco lead you to believe someone would have gone to the trouble to change the diff and gears?

OP
OP
Bronco717274

Bronco717274

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tremont, Ms.
My brother ran across this truck while looking for scrap metal to haul off. Original 79 ford bronco 83,000 miles on it, parked behind an old house that was falling in. The guy bought the truck new and said he only locked the front in 5 or 6 times. no its not a running truck a huge pine tree feel on it he said about 23 years ago. the front of the truck was in fine shap but the rest of it is toast. Brother got motor and trans don't know condition yet, motor is 351M trans is 4 speed, transfer case and rear axle are no good I got front axle and a few other small parts scrap yard got the rest. Front diff. still looks brand new on inside.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It looks like a factory Trac-Lock to me.

Yup. That's what it is. I've paid as much as 150 for a good used one that would carry the 3.92 and numerically taller gears. One for 3.50s...not worth much really. I just gave one away.

OP
OP
Bronco717274

Bronco717274

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tremont, Ms.
I drained the gear oil out myself after I got it home still looked new but stunk real bad. Cleaned it out with brake parts cleaner and took those pics. Im going to try and cut the long side down to fit in my truck and use the detroit I got from another member on here in it with the 4:88 gears I got for the HP.If anyone's looking for a good LS unit send me a PM.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Factory limited slip, you can see the date codes in the pictures.
Being that it is a 3.50 ratio, it will only work with gears up to 3.73. 4.10 and lower use a differnt offset.

It is just a factory limited slip. Nothing special. Better then an open diff, but nothing to get too excited about.

Considering the frictions have been squeezed for the past 23 years, they are stuck. No surprise you can't move them. Just like a motorcycle that sits for years, the wet clutch sticks until it is freed up the first time.

Sorry it isn't a diamond, just a shiney rock. Shiney rock not really worth much. But still better then no rock at all.

OP
OP
Bronco717274

Bronco717274

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tremont, Ms.
Not looking for diamonds just woundered what it was, I'm not going to use it and was going to give it to a good home instead of it setting on my shelf collecting dust. I got what I wanted in the HP.

Pedestrian

Bronco Missionary
If you are looking to donate to a good cause, I will be happy to pay shipping. I could use it in my 79 ;D