• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Help Identify Hole in Cowl Panel

hsach

Contributor
Members Only
I am finishing up the upper cowl replacement and forgot what this hole is used for. The replacement panel covers most of this hole, and if I don't need it I will just fill it in. If I need the hole, I can easily modify the panel. 20220117_182924.jpg

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
is that the wire hole for the headlight, turn signal, windshield washer pump and horn harness?

OP
OP
hsach

hsach

Contributor
Members Only

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
James has it. Vacuum hose through a grommet in that hole. If no more vacuum wipers, then no more hole. Definitely do your best to seal it off. Along with any other holes in the cowl area such as the "vent" holes that are often found at either end (or sometimes both ends) of the cowl facing the fender. Presumably there to allow moisture to evaporate, but in reality just a rust-creating water intrusion enhancer.
I say seal the cowl 100% from the outside and vent it to the cabin if you want to let air into the cavity.

That might have it's own set of issues, but I'm not sure what they are yet. Still working on it. If in doubt, make the vent holes in such a shape and size that you can use plugs to keep water out and then remove them when you want it to air out in the sun.

Paul

OP
OP
hsach

hsach

Contributor
Members Only
Awesome, thanks everyone! I will fill the hole in, as well as the other holes. Amazing how much moisture gets in that cowl area.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Just thought of a new invention for Broncos. A panel heater for the cowl!
When replacing the old rusted out one with new metal, just glue a heating element (like a rear window defogger for example) and have it turn on automatically every time you fire up the engine. You can have it wired to the house for when the rig sits for months at a time in the winter.
Problem solved!:rolleyes:

Paul

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
The answer to moisture collection is an asphalt shingle. Place several on top of some tar paper over sheets of plywood on your roof. Then move it to California, and park your bronco under it.

I don’t know what cowl rust is. The cowl is the only part of my San Jose DSO Bronco that didn’t rust…

Attachments

• 58872C6F-93B0-4AA0-BBA4-35FA4D4453C6.jpeg
    58872C6F-93B0-4AA0-BBA4-35FA4D4453C6.jpeg
    222.5 KB · Views: 31

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That's funny James. Got a nice rusty one and the cowl is intact? Sheesh, they come in just about every combination of rust-no-rust you can think of!
But that's actually good news, since the cowl is kind of a pain for most. In your case though it would have just been "one more thing" from the look of it.

Is this the '66?

Paul

OP
OP
hsach

hsach

Contributor
Members Only
Glad mine wasn't as rusty as yours James, wow. Patched the hole and looks good as new. Thanks again for the quick info!

20220119_175828.jpg