• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Help Identifying Oil Leak

clinem03

I have been struggling to figure out where an oil leak is coming from on my original 302 engine. The engine has never been pulled or fully rebuilt but I have rebuilt the front end (timing chain out to radiator) and recently pulled the oil pan, scraped off the OE gasket, cleaned the pan and added in a Fel-Pro one piece gasket and replaced the pan. After replacing the oil pan I started having a leak that seems to be hitting the side (fuel pump side) of my oil filter and then drips down. I did not have this issue pre oil pan re-seal. While I have been working on the engine I cleaned up the oil sending unit (had 45 years of mud/oil caked on it) and replaced the oil filter when I put back in the oil pan. I figured the leak may be coming from two areas
1. The OE oil sending unit
2. I could have possibly overnighted the oil filter

I replaced the oil sending unit and oil filter (hand tightened) this morning, took her on a quick 2 mile test drive and the leak persists. I had my wife rev the engine while I was underneath the truck and it appears to be "splattering" against the side of the filter (fuel pump side - topish side of the filter), pools up and then drips down pretty heavy. I also ensured all the oil pan bolts are snug.

Any ideas on what my issue is here?

Attachments

• IMG_7079.jpg
    IMG_7079.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_7078.jpg
    IMG_7078.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 81
OP
OP
clinem03

clinem03

Darn, that sounds like my exact issue. Thanks, Slowleak! The fuel pump is new (has maybe 100 miles on it) but maybe it is defective? If I’m going to replace it I’d prefer to put in the best one I can buy - any recommendations? Also I’m using the original PVC and have had some oil leaking out of the oil breather cap on longer rides. Where are you sourcing new PVC’s?

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
I had that same problem with the oil spewing out of the side of the fuel pump…
I got my new pump at NAPA and haven’t had any issues. It’s been about 5 years now. I found some differences in the levers on fuel pumps when compared to the original. I got one at AutoZone and returned it. The NAPA one was a good match.

PCV valves are pretty generic… just make sure it fits snug in the grommet.

Last edited:

savage

Contributor
Bronco Nut
Loc.
Renton
I tried a carter fuel pump and the arm was not right., I found a airtex fuel pump and it was the Same as the old one ,worked great.

OP
OP
clinem03

clinem03

Slowleak for the win! I replaced the fuel pump and theres no more leak... Thank you!

Yooper74

Is there any way to determine if this is cause of leak? I may have same issue. Oil all over place in sane area and I can’t see where it’s coming from

OP
OP
clinem03

clinem03

Is there any way to determine if this is cause of leak? I may have same issue. Oil all over place in sane area and I can’t see where it’s coming from

Buy a new fuel pump, replace it and see if it fixes it. Was a simple fix....

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Buy a new fuel pump, replace it and see if it fixes it. Was a simple fix....

The filter, oil pressure sending unit, and fuel pump are crammed into that tight area on the side of the block. finding the leak on an oily engine is going to be tough there.
I cleaned it up with aerosol engine cleaner and water and let it dry. Then I ran the engine at high idle while watching from underneath with a flashlight. After it heated up, I could see a vapor stream and oil trickle coming from the pivot pin hole on the fuel pump.

Yooper74

I’ve got a new fuel pump coming, cheap and looks easy enough to replace. Start there I guess and see if it fixes it

I do seem to have high oil pressure relative to what I’d expect, 55 psi. Don’t know if this could be causing anything per thst old thread I read about it

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
when installing the pump the lever goes inside the hole under the lobe inside the cam cover. Don't try to put it in over the top of the hole. if you have a struggle getting the bolts in rotate the engine a little so you get a better position on the pump cam it will make it easier to get the bolts in. trying to push up the pump and put the bolts in can lead to cross threading the bolts in the aluminium threads in the cam cover. screw those up you will have to take out the cover and helicoil the threads. been there and done that it is really the project you want to avoid if you can.