• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Help installing Duff Dual Sport 4-link on ‘72

Thaddeusrex

I’ve decided to go with the Duff dual sport 4 link, but have never done a suspension swap ground-up. I’ve got the entire truck completely torn down now, and have removed the leafspring mounts from the frame. I need a really detailed tutorial or video on this specific package. I’ve been in touch with Duff guys (very nice and helpful) and got the instructions, but unfortunately they are very short on detail for a complete novice who is great with tools and can weld. I’ve only found one Powernation video, but they skim over pretty much all the difficult parts. My biggest point of nervousness is how to locate the frame bracket for proper geometry.

Thanks

ZOSO

Its pretty simple. You need to set your wheelbase and place the axle where you want it. Assemble the links to the length in the instructions. Loosely bolt links to housing and frame brackets. set brackets on frame. C clamp in place or tack weld. measure and re measure a dozen times. to make sure they are square in the same spot on the frame with the wheel base you want. I used a plumb bob from the frame on each side so I could see if the axle moved. I installed mine this way and never put it on an alignment rack and it drives straight.

OP
OP
Thaddeusrex

Thaddeusrex

Its pretty simple. You need to set your wheelbase and place the axle where you want it. Assemble the links to the length in the instructions. Loosely bolt links to housing and frame brackets. set brackets on frame. C clamp in place or tack weld. measure and re measure a dozen times. to make sure they are square in the same spot on the frame with the wheel base you want. I used a plumb bob from the frame on each side so I could see if the axle moved. I installed mine this way and never put it on an alignment rack and it drives straight.
Thanks. How do you set the wheelbase relative to the frame? The body and suspension are completely off, so it’s just a raw frame. What reference point(s) do you use?

ZOSO

Thanks. How do you set the wheelbase relative to the frame? The body and suspension are completely off, so it’s just a raw frame. What reference point(s) do you use?
Thats a tough spot to be in. I did all mine as it was together. Best is to assemble the front suspension. Then measure back from centerline of front axle 92" if you want to keep it stock wheel base.

OP
OP
Thaddeusrex

Thaddeusrex

Thats a tough spot to be in. I did all mine as it was together. Best is to assemble the front suspension. Then measure back from centerline of front axle 92" if you want to keep it stock wheel base.
Got it, thanks. I guess i’ll have simulate the ride height then somehow too.