• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

HELP!!! Intake maifold bolt may have broken

BroncoBrandon

So I was taking the intake manifold off last night and all of the bolts were not really a problem. I did the bolts on the corners last and they were really difficult. as I removed them I noticed that there was some black material that looked like dirt and though it might be a thread sealer that dried up. on the last one, I felt a pop and all it does is spin. It takes allot of force to turn it but it will not back out.

After inspecting the other bolts i noticed that some of the threds in the middle of the bolt were worn down and were caked with the Black dirt type material.. I am thinking that i will have to drill and tap the hole again.

What is the best way for me to approach this task?

IMG_1127.jpg

IMG_1135.jpg

IMG_1137.jpg

IMG_1127.jpg

ScanmanSteven

Bronco Guru
The gunk you are seeing is rust, as water circulates through the manifold. Once you remove the manifold you'll be able to see the bolt. If the bolt is sticking out above the head you might be able to put vice grips on it, after a thorough soaking with PB Blaster, ect, and get it to turn, very doubtful as it's rusted to the threads. If you have access to a torch, heat it till it red hot, then try turning. If not, grind it flush with the head, carefully center punch and drill it out, starting small and working your way up. Not much fun, plus you'll want to protect the engine from the grinding grit and drill bits.

fmcpeters

If a thread chaser doesn't clean them up, I would probably put helicoils back in, instead of retapping if the threads are messed up. They are fairly easy to install and most parts stores sell them.

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
i had to remove the head on mine, just went throught this two months ago...

Pedestrian

Bronco Missionary
I just went through this a few weeks ago. Clean the top of the broken bolt off. Grab your mig welder and weld a bead on top of the bolt, repeat this process untill you have built the bolt up high enough to weld a nut to it and still have room to get a wrench on it. Soak liberally with penetrating oil. Work the bolt back and forth till you get movement, continue working back and forth as you slowly back the bolt out. If it breaks again, repeat the whole process till it comes out.

OP
OP
B

BroncoBrandon

Thanks guys. Sounds like I am in for a whole lot of fun. I was anticipating not to run into this like i did with the first 5.0 I bought a few years ago since this motor was from an AZ exploder, there were so many bolts that were rusted and broken off in the first block and heads that i decided to not continue with that project. I hope that this is the worst of it....