• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Help - looking for the carb spacer hole problem post

Gregski

A while ago I came accross a post that now I can't find, it was a guy trying to put on a Motorcraft 2150 carb (or Autolite) and change the carb spacer on it but the spacer was too short and it would not cover the entire carb base and or intake manifold. Do any of you remember that, maybe the guy who went through this is reading this. I am having a similar problem. I am trying to replace my EGR spacer with a non EGR one, but both non EGR spacer I have are too short? Help please

muszyngr @ yahoo dot com

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Don't remember the thread, but know there are plenty of different sizes/shapes of spacers over the years. Just look at all the different gaskets and you can see that.
What the different years had though, I have no idea.
I would think that any EGR-ready manifold would have a slightly different shape than the standard one though. Did the guy in the thread you're talking about have a solution? Like a specific year or model spacer to use? If so, that'd be good info to archive here.
I still think we need a part number cross-reference database here on this site. Maybe in different sections too. I know it would have come in handy a time or three for me!

Good luck. Hope someone remembers that thread.

Paul

vintage bronco

so are you trying to delete EGR ? you can use a older spacer off 289 or early 302 and it will have port in it to run PCV.

OP
OP
G

Gregski

Yes I have a 1976 302 V8 and I want to delete the EGR. Here are the three spacers I have. They look similar but the two smaller ones have a base plate that is narrower from front to back they are 3 inches by 5 1/4 inches, the big one which is what came on my engine measures 3 1/4 inches front to back and 5 1/2 accross. So when I use one of the two smaller ones there is a small gap between the spacer and the carburetor.

At this point I am thinking of keeping my original spacer and fabbing a EGR block off plate, no big deal, but I wanted to use the spacer in the middle without the nipple for a clean look, and my 2150 Motorcraft 2 barrel carb has the PVC nipple on its base already.

I'm sharing the pictures and part numbers to help someone else down the road.

LEFT: D2TE-9A589-BA (but the year stamped in the circle says 71)

MIDDLE: no part number (but the year stamped in the circle says 72)

RIGHT: D50E-9A589

Carb%20Spacers%201.jpg

Carb%20Spacers%202.jpg

iwlbcnu

Bronco Guru
I think you can get by by using the 1/4 thick carb gasket. It was standard on alot of the 302's.

OP
OP
G

Gregski

Since non of the non EGR carburetor spacers would work with my EGR manifold I decided to make an EGR block off plate out of 1/4 inch thick piece of steel I found in the garage, probably overkill but less cutting. Please note the different bolt sizes, I have no idea why Ford did that, but one is bigger than the other.

EGR%20Plate%201.jpg

EGR%20Plate%202.jpg

EGR%20Plate%203.jpg

EGR%20Plate%204.jpg

EGR%20Plate%205.jpg

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Any kind of gasket or sealant in between?
Not sure why the two sizes either, unless at some point in the early days there were plans for EGR valves that were visually symmetrical and they didn't want people installing them upside down, getting the ports reversed?
Maybe anyway.

Paul

fordtrucks4ever

Bronco Guru
Loc.
DFW
Two of those plates I removed the EGR spouts. One I cut off everything flush and welded up both holes. Another was just tapped and used a pipe plug after I cut it back. I didnt want all of that hanging off the back when not being used anymore.