• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

HELP! New Bronco started dying?!?! WONT START NOW

IsaacNelson98

Okay, i literally bought this yesterday. The lady gave me a great deal on it since i work for her. It was owned by a lawyer who kept CRAZY detailed files on it (including conversations he had about it.... he went senial). When i started it to bring it home it required bit of throttle. then it died once that night while i was driving around, the mechanic that JUST worked on it before i bought it said the idle had some issues so i assumed it just died if i let it idle too long. Then on my way over to work (the lady i just got it from... ironic?) it died when i stopped once, and this time i had to keep gas going to keep it running. It then died in her driveway and i rolled to a stop in neutral. It now wont start. I paid $800 for this.... obviously i don't have a huge budget and im hoping its some stupid-easy fix.

Help out a newbie!

OP
OP
I

IsaacNelson98

Also

It's in emaculate condition no rust, like i said crazy good maintenence records. IF it helps the gas tank and fuel pump were just replaced among a few other things

Killer Frogs

Loc.
Amarillo, TX
Need to determine if it is not getting spark or fuel. Take off air cleaner and pull throttle and you should see fuel go into the carb. If there is fuel pull a spark plug and ground it against something metal and crank the engine. You should see the blue spark dancing on the plug. Knowing what it is missing is the first step.

Welcome and congratulations. If the Bronco is half as nice as you are saying you could easily triple your investment by selling it.

cldonley

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Robinson, TX
Is it carbureted? If the mechanic just did those things there's a possibility a line became clogged and is stopping fuel flow. Like killer said, first find out if you have spark at the plugs. If you do, then you may have a fuel flow issue. If you don't, gotta fix that first. One way you can check for spark is to pull out a spark plug, put it back in the plug wire, ground it to the engine block and turn if over. If you know someone that has a timing light, it's very easy to check for spark. Give us some detail on what engine, year, etc. you have and we can help. Probably something simple!

markperry

Bronco Guru
Bad gas possibly, how long has the gas that's in been setting in the tank?

OP
OP
I

IsaacNelson98

It's brand new gas in the tank along with a brand new fuel pump and the lines were all blown out, honestly don't know if the pump is electric or not. Can't check since the bronc isn't in my driveway at the moment... It is carburated, just the stock carb on it. everything is stock its a 74 that would be serviced a ton, driven a bit then would sit again. I have a Crazy amount of reciepts in a giant folder from the previous owner. It seems to me it should have spark since it would do this and then start again, seems like it needs spark for that... sooo either the brand new fuel pump or the carb or something has been my guess.

The good thing is since the lady i bought it from likes me, she's going to pay for whatever repair it needs.

OP
OP
I

IsaacNelson98

Well here we go guys, its a cracked distributor cap and a bad collector coil or whatever you call it. should be running by tomorrow.
thanks for all the help :)

BRONCROB

Bronco Guru
Loc.
WISNER LA.
We need some pics of this $800 Bronco.Spend the $12 and become a contributor...if you have any cash left:D

OP
OP
I

IsaacNelson98

Haha well i will when i get the chance :)

could use a paint job eventually but it really doesn't look too bad

Hoyt

Yeah, you stole it...

Even if you are short on cash it would be a real dick move to make the lady pay for any repairs! Depending on region you can't find a bombed out shell with no motor for that price. If you can't do the repairs yourself it can be tough to find a shop where someone even knows how to work on these trucks. When I bought mine I took it to a ford dealer to have a general inspection done. The kid "20's" popped the hood and had the diagnostic computer's plug in his hand? At that point I said "No, Thank you" and left. One nice and cheap resource is:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/140827992080

Requires a little computer knowledge and can help figure out issues. Especially if your bronc is true to factory.

OP
OP
I

IsaacNelson98

If it was something major she was willing to pay for it, turned out to be the silly distributor, and we ended up getting one that almost fit for free... pieced the fitting one and the old one together into one working part and there we had it :). Runs great now.