• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Help newbie with issues….

NAZbronco

I have a 69 302. Got it from a family friend about 25yrs ago. The original motor was shot so I put in a rebuilt long block. This was my daily driver for years then I parked it and haven’t driven in much in the last 10 yrs kids and life just kept me too busy to work and spend money on the bronco. Well now I have the time so I have begun the restore project. Got it running a few weeks ago and it was running real rough, actually tough to keep I running. So I pulled the carb and sent it to a shop in Phoenix for a full rebuild. I also found that my coil was cracked and also still running the original distributor. I ordered my new Pertronix and flamethrower coil as we as the ignition box they sell that you run your factory ignition resistor wire to. Well I installed everything tonight and she fired right up on the dirt bump of the key. Got the timing light in it and set it at 12deg BTDC and it was running great. I could stomp on the gas with great res once. I let it idle for about 30 minutes while I was cleaning up. That’s when is started surging and almost dying. Maybe I just ran out of gas as my gauge is not working. I hope it’s gas……. Pulling my hair out not trying to figure out what is wrong if some new fuel doesn’t fix it. Anyone have any input from past experience like this. Thank you

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Always very frustrating. But I don’t have any helpful hints until you verify that you have gas. I think you’re onto something there, at least something worth checking.

Good luck. Hopefully that’s all it is.
Oh but wait! There’s more!
I almost forgot fuel pump. Forget whether it’s new or old, but fuel pumps hate to sit after they have been used. New fuel pumps can sometimes be hit or miss out of the box, but old fuel pumps even at their typically higher quality, definitely do not like to sit for extended periods.

Definitely need to check the carburetor for fuel. You can do that right now without getting gas. Just look inside the carb while you row the throttle back-and-forth and see if it’s squirting gas.
If it’s not, then you can start backtracking to why it’s not getting fuel.

OP
OP
N

NAZbronco

New fuel pump and it’s running like a champ!!! Took it for a drive today, man I didn’t realize how fun it was. Now my mission begins to get it all restored myself. Not talking frame off but minor body work that needs done, interior and paint. Thanks for the help.