• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

help on Replacing starter

BorderBronco

Loc.
Del Rio, Tx
Need some advice guys and gals,

I suspect the starter has finally given the ghost up in our 1974. Started to work on taking it off but the top bolt is almost blocke by where the exhaust pipe meets the exhaust manifold. Is there a way to get that bolt off with out droping the exhaust?

also when i crank the engine it spits sparks from the positive terminal. what could that end up being? because the starter is shot?

Thanks in advance,

Josh

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
Sparks indicate the terminal is NOT tight. Are you talking about the battery positive terminal, or the positive wire at the starter? Click these & read the captions:

What tools are you using on that bolt? Try a LOT of 3/8" extensions so the ratchet handle is between the engine & radiator, and a u-joint (or ball swivel) w/short socket on the bolt head. If the engine mount interferes, you might put the swivel just behind the back of the starter.

SHX669

Bronco Guru
Sounds like you have a clearance problem - if you're replacing the starter you should consider a "mini starter". Gives you more room to maneuver wrenches
SHX

TwoDalesDad

Bronco Guru
I say a mini starter...that is if you need a new one. Start off by tightening the bolt where you have sparks.....they mean a loose connection......Use as many extentions along with swivels to get you where you need to be......The starter bolts should not be that difficult....

Justafordguy

Bronco Guru
X3, get a high torque mini starter. Way easier to install and uses less power to start engine.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
I use 3/8 extensions on the socket to get just past the starter end. I then use a 3/8 to 1/2 adapter so i get the leverage to get the bolt loose.