• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

HELP Rear axle bearing removal

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
Trying to get the rear disc brake bracket off the axle. I talked to a mechanic friend and he said to break up the bearing and then heat the race that is left and if I was lucky I might get it off with a little effort but looking at the picture I am not so sure. Is that big collar in front of the bearing the race? Looking like a machine shop press to me.

Looking for input.

Attachments

• rear axle.JPG
    rear axle.JPG
    234 KB · Views: 45

bronko69er

EB Addict
Loc.
Renton, WA
A press or.....
I usually take a cutoff wheel to it.
Cut as close to the axle as you feel comfortable to avoid nicking the axle whith the cutoff wheel. Usually if you can get within about 1/16" of an inch from the axle, a cold chisel hammered into the cut will split it the rest of the way.

777mechanic

Loc.
centennial colorado
drill the collar above bearing with a bit in 2 spots and then hit it with a chisel takes about 10 minutes collar will split and then the bearing will press off easly .

carmi

Loc.
Oroville
I would definetly recomend trying to cut the retaining collar off before pressing the bearing off. I had an axle damaged by pressing the whole assembly off without first removing the retaining collar.

yjzonie

Loc.
Scottsdale, AZ
drill the collar above bearing with a bit in 2 spots and then hit it with a chisel takes about 10 minutes collar will split and then the bearing will press off easly .

2x the drilling of the collar. I have done that to a few. Drill 3/4 the way, cold chisle and hammer it will break, slid it off , press off the bearing...Good luck

mango

Loc.
Sarasota, FL
I just had a machine shop try to remove the bearing and collar at the same time. The 20 ton press did not budge it. Machinist said the next step is to cut off the collar.

OP
OP
fatboy

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
Thanks guys. Not too worried about the axle being damaged as I am just after the bracket. The rear end I bought right just for the brackets. Don't get me wrong, if I can save them I will.

Oatmeal

I just had a machine shop try to remove the bearing and collar at the same time. The 20 ton press did not budge it. Machinist said the next step is to cut off the collar.
Find a new machine shop! You should always remove the collar first........I also prefer to press the bearing on without the collar and then, press the collar on afterwards. Way back when, I had a machine shop replace my bearings and I didn't watch them and they ended up ruining my shafts to the point where my bearings wouldn't stay in place and I had to use tack welds to keep them from walking off the shafts. Those shafts are now trail spares for a buddy's Bronco:mad:----------Hans

Past_Miner

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have always used a torch to cut a groove in the collar and then broke them off with a chisel. If you are good with the torch you can probably cut all the way through the collar without damaging the shaft. That's tricky though and not worth it. After the collar is gone the bearing will press off easily.

IMO the collars should never be pressed on either. they should be heated red hot and dropped into place. They expand enough to slide right on and cool to a full contact fit. Trying to press them on will just wear the shafts.