• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Help T shift to J Shift, Need Help

CarsandBars

Loc.
Henrico
Hello Guys,

I just picked up a c4 with a dana 20 j shift attached. i currently have a T shift in my 72. I was going to get both (c4 & dana20 j shift) rebuilt before swapping them in. Is the J shift location the same as the t shift in the tunnel. i have the interior finished and don't want to have to cut another hole.

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
It should be int he same location. If you are rebuilding the T Case, your T shift has a slightly lower gear set that swaps right in if that is important to you.

Lunar-tic

Loc.
Brentsville
It is in the same place, or at least it was on my '67. Just know that you will have to finagle it in there with the shifter attached, otherwise you should be fine.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
How about just running the T shift trassfer case? You have to change or modify the spud shaft.

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
How about just running the T shift trassfer case? You have to change or modify the spud shaft.

Ditto. The J shift spud shafts have a plate welded across them tying them together. The T shift has independent spud shafts that have notches cut into them and a plate riveted between them. The easiest thing to do is cut the J plate and use twin sticks. Not sure how you can modify the J to accept a T shifter.

J Shifter
https://www.tomsbroncoparts.com/pages/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/bronco-dana-20-j-shift-grinder.jpg

T Shifter
https://classicbroncos.com/dana20/diagrams/figure03.jpg

OP
OP
CarsandBars

CarsandBars

Loc.
Henrico
Wow thank you guys. I might end up going twin stick and J shift. I have a brand new t shift handle and cover it pains me to not use them but thats why we got the classified section :)

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
To run the t or j?

To run the t shift transfer case with an automatic tranny. T shift spud shaft is a little to long to run with an automatic tranny adapter. But he keeps the t shifter and the t shift transfer case.

Lunar-tic

Loc.
Brentsville
Seems like I had to swap the output yoke from my old T shift transfer case to the newer 74 J shift transfer case so it would marry up with my drive shaft. May not be the case with yours, but I thought I would mention it.