• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Help! Tailgate bolts broke... figures...

ryanfrank

Loc.
Charlotte, NC
Hello all, first post so please be gentle :)

I am in the process of replacing the body mounts on my bronco... I started the dissection this morning... Would figure that the first 4 bolts I tried to remove, the lower tailgate bracket bolts, almost instantly broke :) This was even after ample WD40...

This brings me to my current state... I would normally just drill and tap these suckers, however the plate the retaining nuts are connected to moves around... there is no easy, or hard for that matter, way for me to get leverage to drill them out...

Has anyone had this problem? is there a way to remove the plate to drill out in a press?

Here are two pictures in case my description is bad...

Right_Side_Tailgate.jpg

Left_Side_Tailgate.jpg

So if I have not provided enough information please let me know...

tim70

Loc.
SF Bay, CA
I had that happen on one of my bolts in the same area. I ended up taking my dremel tool with a 90 degree attachment and a tiny high-speed cutter (looked like a sphere) and carefully centered a pilot hole in the bolt so I could drill it out. I surrounded the area with blue painter's tape first, then a layer of duct tape over the painters tape to give the surrounding sheet metal some protection if the bits slid off. Taped the new hole using a 12-point socket on an extension to hold the tap.

If I remember correctly, you may be able to get to the back side of the plate from the tail light opening.

Wyflyer

Bronco Guru
Ryan, looks like you have three options:
1. Place a new nut over the broken stud, then weld through the nut and weld the nut to the stud. Then get one of those 3/8 air ratchets and turn it on low and rattle it out. Switch it from forward to reverse a couple times. Eventually you'll see it budge then it'll spin out. It may take a couple tries. Bring a handful of nuts.
2. Drill it out. Like they said, you might need to take out the taillight to reach in behind to help support it. I'd get it centered good then drill it out to the threads then chase it with a tap.
3. Last choice: It's held onto the bed corner by a light metal bracket. If you drive it in with a punch it'll shear the bracket and you can get it out through the tail light opening. Then take it to your bench and do all of the above.

old number 8

Loc.
NOT Seattle
The retainer bracket is usually pretty solid. Get a new sharp centerpunch and peen it in the center of the bolt. It is critical to get it centered on your first strike. Drill it out, then tap chase, or heli-coil to get good threads. Use lots of penetrant when drilling and tapping. Use antisieze for all fasteners on the body.

Good luck, and by the time you are done there will be another broken bolt expert extractor on here.

Dbteak

Just went through this on mine. On my 66 the bottom retainer is just held in by bent sheet metal tacked on. I cut the sheet metal and bent it out and the retainer slides out. I just made a new plate and welded it back up. I also had to
do the top hinge holder on one side. I drilled out 2 spot welds and the retaining bracket came out. I cut out the broken bolt and nut and welded a new nut on and welded it back to on the bronco