• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Help! Tie Rod Bolt Spinning!!

trippc3

Loc.
Orlando
I'm trying to finish up a suspension lift so she's ready for Holopawlooza, but I've hit a little snag. The tie rod bolt on the drivers side is spinning and I'm not able to tighten the nut down! None of the other bolts on the tie rod/drag link had this problem, so I'm hoping I'm just missing something basic and I'm not going to need to order a whole new set up! Any ideas? A pic is below. Please HELP!!!

Attachments

• IMG_1178.jpg
    IMG_1178.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 51

Amac70

ME
usually when they start spinning that is a sign they need to be replaced. If putting pressure on it with steering wheel doesn't work you can get a die grinder out and cut a slot in the top of the bolt head and hold the tre with a screwdriver whille you tighten the nut.

should have looked at picture first also, you can put a jack under the tie rod to put pressure on it also.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yeah, the screw-slot thing is invaluable when nothing else works.
Before you go to that trouble though, to the other thing Amac said, and put it back in, set up a jack underneath it to put some pressure on the tapered stud and tighten away.
It helps for both the hole and the stud to be both clean and dry too though.

Paul

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
Jack, or even large channel-locks. Anything that causes the tapers to mate up & grab will do it.

Spinning during installation doesn't indicate that the TREs are worn. Spinning by hand when they're out WOULD.

You don't have to worry about difficulty during removal - the tapers will be locked together, preventing the stud from spinning.

I'd never cut into the stud, but I would clean it & the hole in the knuckle.

OP
OP
trippc3

trippc3

Loc.
Orlando
Thanks or all the help guys. Unfortunately upon closer inspection it looks like the bolt threads are actually torn up in a couple of places and it's preventing the nut from going on. Oh well. Looks like an excuse to upgrade to a new tie rod.

Pedestrian

Bronco Missionary
Thread files are relatively inexpensive. No tool box is complete without one.