• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Help with Door Lock Knob, Falls to Lock Position

Ol'Blue

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Drivers side door lock knob lost its tension. Rod is still connected to the latch. In order to open the door I have to hold the door lock knob up in the unlock position or it just falls to the lock position.

Compared it to the passenger side and I don't see anything missing like a spring or retainer.

Kinda stumped.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Has to be the lever either broken or the spring lost.
It's a cantilever bar thingy that has two rods. One for the lock knob and, at it's other end, the one from the door lock cylinder.

Did you pull the panel and get a good light in there yet? Might just have to take the extra trouble to pull it out. That will tell the tale and give you a chance to fully clean and lube it anyway.
Unless it turns out to be trashed in which case the new one will be clean and shiny.;);D

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What year is Ol'Blue? Here is an image of an early style (edit: sorry, late style) latch. This should give you a clear picture of the bar thingy in case you did not stick your head all the way into the door this time.

IMG_4848 (Large).jpg

Paul

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ol'Blue

Ol'Blue

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey Paul, Its a 68 and yep, got my head way in there and thought it might be that bar thingy not catching on the body of the latch. I will pull it out and take a closer look, maybe try and bend it so it catches again. Thanks,

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Same one as in my pic then. That's an original fresh out of my '68 last week.
Did not have time to do the full dunk-n-clean on it like I prefer, before I had to put it back in. Roundup was the next day and I did not like the idea of a bungee cord holding the door closed at the show!

I believe that it's in the locked position in that pic too.
The door lock cylinder lever floats, so does not have any tension of it's own to hold the lever in place when locked. Whatever holds it in each position has let go apparently.

I'll see if I can post up a video of a working one locking and unlocking.
Or not, since you're going to have to take yours out no matter what at this point.

And since you have a '68 and presumably the removable window frames(?) you may need to remove, or at least loosen the rear frame to allow the clearance to get the latch out.
I did not try very hard before just removing the channel, so don't know if it can be done or not.

Paul

OP
OP
Ol'Blue

Ol'Blue

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I think I found the issue. There is a small spring missing near the thumb lock lever shown in red on your latch.

Time for a new latch.

Attachments

• Door Latch.jpg
    Door Latch.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 14

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Not a simple spring to make or buy then? Probably something exotic and hard to install?

Oh well, it's a good excuse for a new latch anyway!
Don't forget to lube the new one up good. My new one worked better after a good greasing.

Paul

OP
OP
Ol'Blue

Ol'Blue

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Not a simple spring to make or buy then? Probably something exotic and hard to install?

Oh well, it's a good excuse for a new latch anyway!
Don't forget to lube the new one up good. My new one worked better after a good greasing.

Paul

Yep already ordered with a bunch of other stuff! Thank Paul!