• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Help with electronic ignition, coil and box are scalding hot...

kaisermusic

Loc.
Chehalis WA
soo I finally am getting my frame off project ready for a test startup with engine in frame. I have a 170 6 cyl running a points replacement elec. ignition system (it came with the engine i bought) It uses a Crane Cams XR700 box and a MSD blaster 2 coil. My crane box has a purple wire, a black wire, and a red wire. I have it wired: black to neg of coil, red to pos of coil, and purple to ground (frame). I then ran another wire from pos of coil to pos of battery.

I have a trigger start wired to solenoid and pos of battery. I am bypassing the alternator and voltage regulator for simplicity and time's sake.

As far as I know I have it all hooked up right, I have looked at the diagrams from crane and they show a similar setup. The engine will start, but my problem is with the coil and box getting EXTREMELY hot. Not just hot, but meltdown levels.

I did see in the diagrams from crane that I might need a ballast resistor between battery pos and coil pos and this should help the heat problem. Just wanted to know if anyone had any experience with this type of setup who could tell me if my setup is hooked up right or not?

i can get pics or whatever is needed im just dumb with this whole electronic system...

thanks

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Your colors don't match this diagram from Crane.

Attachments

• junk.JPG
    junk.JPG
    68.5 KB · Views: 26
OP
OP
K

kaisermusic

Loc.
Chehalis WA
yeah cause i believe its probably the first xr700 that came out. its not a fireball but same model. i couldnt find anything online saying purple wire either...