• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Help with Installing a 460 into a 1978 full size Bronco

Mudhog19

Hello,

New to the site, glade I found it.

I have a full size 78 Bronco with 351 automatic and was thinking about swapping out the 351 for a 460.

Can anyone give me some insight about types of mondifications that will have to be made ?

What types of problems ?

Or am I bettter of with leaving the 351 in ?

Thanks for the help

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
well this is a mostly 66-77 tech forum you might have better luck on full size bronco but there are guys who can help I am going to be doing the swap soon on my 78 with a 545. you will need a new set of motor mounts from jeffs bronco graveyard, I assume you have a C6 so thats fine but your motor will have to be complete, I.E accessory drives torque converter flex plate ect. but other than that it is pretty strait forward, if you need more answers check out the 78-79 section of fullsizebronco.com or PM me.

welcome to the board!

Bart

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Buffalo Gap, Texas
Yes, there is a www.fullsizebronco.com site. More help there, I have an 81 and have visited there many times. I also have a fresh 600 horse 460 (.060 over) if you are interested. :cool: Price is $3,000 and it comes with a high rise tunnel ram too. I do know that the 460 requires a different engine mount setup. I put a 460 in my old 77 F100 and had to find them. Front coils also need attention as the 460 much heavier. You didn't mention which 351 you had, Windsor or Cleaveland. Either way good luck.

OP
OP
M

Mudhog19

Thanks brOncOxraptor,
I am going to the fullsizebronco.com site.

I have working on cars since I was a kid, but this is my first bronco. So I feel that it ok to ask,

How can I tell if the engine is a 351M as well as what type of trany ?
I'm sure there is a big sign over the engine, but I just can not see it.

Bart,
I would be very interested, but the boss gave me a budget and I'm sad to say your price is way over my budget.

thanks for all the help.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That is a very easy swap you are tlking about. The auto is a C-6. You cannot tell a 351m apart from a 400 without pulling the oil pan to see the casting code on the crank (5MA or 5MAB for 400) or by actually measuring the stroke with a piece of coathanger wire down a plug hole and turning it over by hand (3.5" for 351m..4.0" for 400)

Fullsizebronco.com and projectbronco.com have both covered that swap to a great extent since it is so popular....and cheap too.