• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

help with license plate lamp

TB74

Loc.
Nor Cal
Just put in a new bulb on my 74 license plate light and the wire that the po put in started to smoke. I pulled the wire out. I wired it how it was and it popped the blinker fuse. With that fuse blown and the headlights on the headlights began to surge. Take the license bulb out and everything is fine with a new fuse just no bulb in. Any ideas? Where is the power supposed to come from they just had a wire cut and spliced in theirs with a wire nut. Thanks for your help

NicksTrix

Bronco Guru
it comes off he running light circuit on the left rear corner.- brwn wire IIRC
be sure you've got the correct bulb also. sounds like it's grounding out, more than likely in the socket.

Nelson

Loc.
Sulphur, LA
It should be tided into the clearance light or drivers taillight wire. The bulb should have two pinouts one is the hot from the taillight or cleanance light and the other should go to ground (it does not matter which one is the ground or hot). Bulb is 1178.
It sounds like the po connected it to the wrong wire in the taillight. I would use the clearance light hot for the hot and ground to a screw inside the taillight housing area of the body. Hope this helps.

Nelson

OP
OP
TB74

TB74

Loc.
Nor Cal
thank you guys, so far its seems it was the bulb. I had a single contact bulb it there that was touching both contacts. Just got the right one in, so far so good.

THANK YOU