• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Help With Sloppy Shifter for C4

YellowBronc

Bronco God
Alright, I've put up with this long enough. The problem of the shifter has gotten so bad that sometimes I have to work with it to get it to go all the way to park. I've done the adjusting thing and really have only delayed the inevitable.

Below are the pics of the adjuster bolt (don't know what else to call it) that attach's the rod from the column down to the linkage on the transmission. The linkage on the transmission has only started to become out of round and isn't to bad, yet. The linkage on the transmission was replaced at rebuild 3 years ago. However, I couldn't find the adjusting bolt anywhere so I reused it. As you can see, it is worn really bad.

Does anyone know where I can get a replacement? I've hit salvage yards and tranny shops without any luck. Even if someone has one laying around that is in better shape? I'm getting desperate here! :p

Attachments

• shifternut1.jpg
    shifternut1.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 27
  • shifternut2.jpg
    shifternut2.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 28
  • shifternut3.jpg
    shifternut3.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
Mid & late 70's econolines and F series with C-6 or C-4 used this. Does your trans use the horseshoe clip or the plastic grommet? I could probably scrounge one out of my collection of spare tranny parts if you are still unsuccessful at finding one. PM me if you want me to send you one. I will need to know the hole diameter in your shift lever. Good luck. Nice pics by the way.

OP
OP
YellowBronc

YellowBronc

Bronco God
BwoncoHowie said:
Mid & late 70's econolines and F series with C-6 or C-4 used this. Does your trans use the horseshoe clip or the plastic grommet? I could probably scrounge one out of my collection of spare tranny parts if you are still unsuccessful at finding one. PM me if you want me to send you one. I will need to know the hole diameter in your shift lever. Good luck. Nice pics by the way.
I've been totally unsucessful in the local salvage yards. In fact they've really started cleaning them all up lately. The business of these yards must not be profitable anymore around here.

Anyway, I would truly appreciate if you could find one in your scrounge pile. As far as the hole diameter, it appears to be 3/8". It doesn't look as if there was a plastic grommet in there, but that's not to say I shouldn't have one? I took off a "C" clip when I removed it. So does this mean I don't need the plastic grommet?

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
I had never seen an EB with a grommet on the bottom, only where it connects to the column on top, but there are some later model Ford trucks that use a grommet on the shift lever and there is a first time for everything I suppose. %) Let me see what I can find and I'll let you know.

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
OK I found one. PM me with your mailing address. I'm shipping some other stuff out today and I can send it. It will be coming with one used Retainer Ford Part #379620-S100 (horseshoe clip). This special clip keeps tension on that connection so it wont rattle. I Use Duckbill pliers to remove and install these clips to avoid bending them. The excess play and lack of lubrication will wear out the adjuster & shift lever.

OP
OP
YellowBronc

YellowBronc

Bronco God
Good. I do have the plastic grommet on top at the column. I didn't appear to have anything at the tranny side. The grommet on top looked like it was in fairly good condition........considering it's a '74. :eek:

Thanks for checking Howie!

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
I sent it priority mail. It should arrive in time for the weekend. Hope it works for you. Let us know.

OP
OP
YellowBronc

YellowBronc

Bronco God
Sorry it took so long to get back with you on this. I had to work the weekend shift and just got to it today. Put on the new adjuster and all I can say is Wow :eek: , didn't know what I was missing for so long. That was definetly the problem. Now I can feel each detent when I shift. I don't even have to search for park now!

Thanks Howie for helping me out on this. I'll be sending you compensation shortly after I wash up and get to town.

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
Did you see what I mean about the horseshoe clip? Did yours have this? Or was it another type of clip? Anyhow if you want to purchase a new clip that fits tighter, again here is the Ford service Part number. #379620-S100 Sorry I dont have a picture of it. :(

OP
OP
YellowBronc

YellowBronc

Bronco God
Yes, that clip is much better. I actually had the "C" clip on it. That was probably what caused my problems later on. I still can't get over how much easier it is to find the right gear now. I put this off way to long! :p

TwoHorses

Loc.
Milwaukee
Hey Howie.... should any Ford dealership have these?

Did you see what I mean about the horseshoe clip? Did yours have this? Or was it another type of clip? Anyhow if you want to purchase a new clip that fits tighter, again here is the Ford service Part number. #379620-S100 Sorry I dont have a picture of it. :(