• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Help with stereo

75Sport

Loc.
Houston
alright, ive worked and worked to fix this but i cant. ive rewired twice and still doesnt fix the problem. i got a 300W anp and two 10" subs. the amp isnt enough to blow the subs or overpower them. But they cut out, when im not at an idle, and wont come back on until something elctrical drains on it, say the brake lights, or the heater fan. it makes no sense to me. is there anything i can do to regulate the flow to the amp. keep it stable? maybe a surge protector?

TexasBronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Waterford, MI
You may try a capaciter (msp ::)) they are suppose to keep your power at a constant level. Typically for systems requiring MORE power then the battery. But I think it should work also to stop your system from recieving too much power. The best thing to do is go to a car audio shop and see what they suggest.

cadun

Loc.
Santa Barbara &amp San Francisco, Ca
A capacitor would probably work, but they're pretty expensive and only really necessary for a huge system. I don't really know why your subs are cutting out, but 300w is definetely not too much for 2 10s, I was running 6-700 watts to mine and they worked fine. good luck getting it going-<br>CD

G

well iv had some experince with amps and subs too i am just running about 400watts to one 12 it works great the most important part is make sure you dont have any shorts or your ground is in a good spot and make shure you get some big wires to tie all that togther that makes a huge diff. well that about i have for you today hope i helped a littel<br><br> Corby

sicaz66

Bronco Guru
Loc.
san diego
if it is a true 300watt amp.then my guess would be your alternator is not putting out enough juice.mine did the same with a true 260 watts(a punch 200 and a punch4080) running.had the alternator tested and was told it was good.it would kill my battery while i was driving.did not go away until i went with the g3.

Hnrys69

Bronco Guru
Ok, what gauge wire is it running off of?? And is it straight from the battery?? I use 4 gauge on mine currently with the stock alt. I have 2 500 watt eclipse amps. If I crank it they arnt happy. So I added 2 1 farad caps and the lights dont even dim anymore. If you want a cap cheap www.thezeb.com has 1 farad good ones for like 70 bucks....<br><br>Also check your ground and make sure they arnt very long and are secured very well. Also the remote turn on for the amp is hooked to your deck right?? <br><br>GL

jeff71sport

Loc.
Tacoma,WA
check your amp ground first and make sure you have the right size ground wire and make it no more then 1 foot in lenght<br><br>jeff

Explore74

Loc.
Lubbock, TX
What kind of amp is it? it sounds like the amp is doing what they call clipping. Clipping occurs when you thermally overload the transistors (or triacs) in your amp. A capacitor may help, becaust it will smooth out the power available to the amp. It wont regulate it though. It is going to charge to the potential that your charging system will put out. The ground wire is a good call too. I have a digital class t Alpine v-12, and I run 2 ga for power and a 1/0 ground. good luck! :)

71pony

Loc.
SLC Utah
[quote author=Explore74 link=board=5;threadid=12494;start=0#93186 date=1040393053]
What kind of amp is it? it sounds like the amp is doing what they call clipping. Clipping occurs when you thermally overload the transistors (or triacs) in your amp. A capacitor may help, becaust it will smooth out the power available to the amp. It wont regulate it though. It is going to charge to the potential that your charging system will put out. The ground wire is a good call too. I have a digital class t Alpine v-12, and I run 2 ga for power and a 1/0 ground. good luck! :)
[/quote]

I am going to have to agree!!!